Transition Year Applications
The School of Medicine, Trinity College Dublin and St. James’s Hospital is delighted to invite Transition Year students to participate in its Transition Year Programme for 2024.
What is it?
Trinity College Dublin and St. James’s Hospital will host a one-week programme for Transition Year (TY) students. It aims to give TY students an opportunity to understand what it is like to have a career in the medical profession and to gain an insight into college life when studying medicine as an undergraduate. Students will get to meet and hear from professionals working in a variety of medical specialities including cardiology, surgery, radiology, intensive care and clinical research.
When is it on?
The TY programme will run from 19th - 23rd February 2024
How will it be delivered?
The 2024 TY programme will be a hybrid programme with a combination of live online workshops delivered via Zoom along with in-person sessions. The in-person sessions will allow participants to immerse themselves in the clinical world with problem-based learning seminars, clinical skills tutorials and simulation sessions.
The in-person sessions will be hosted at either of these locations:
- Trinity College Dublin Campus, Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, Pearse Street, Dublin 2
- Department of Clinical Medicine, Trinity Centre for Health Sciences, St James’s Hospital, Dublin 8.
What if I am not sure what career I want in the future?
That is ok! If you are interested in a career in medicine or in a healthcare field, this TY programme will allow you to experience things that may help you to decide what is (or isn’t!) for you in your future career path.
Is there an application process?
Yes. You can apply for the TY programme using the online form available on this webpage from 13th November 2023. Only fully completed applications will be reviewed for a place on the TY programme.
To apply, a student will need to:
- Complete the online application form which includes a short statement on why you want to participate.
- Provide a Parental Consent Form to participate in the TY programme. This form is available Applications-Parental-Consent 2023.
- Provide a consent letter from your school (Principal or TY coordinator) to give permission to attend should you be offered a place.
- Provide proof of your secondary school’s insurance indemnity. The insurance policy should state that the employer is indemnified, and not just provide public liability insurance.
- All of the above documentation will be uploaded through the online form available from Monday 13th November 2023.
How long will applications be open for?
Applications will be open for 4 weeks from the 13th November until the 8th December 2023.
Is there a fee charged?
No. The TY Programme is free of charge. You will need to make your own way to and from in-person sessions.
What if my school or TY coordinator requires more information?
When will I find out if I have secured a place on the TY Programme?
We will confirm your place on the programme by Wednesday 13th December 2023. Unfortunately, we may not always be able to accommodate everyone onto the TY programme due to space limitations. Students who do not secure a place in the first round will be placed on a waiting list. Should a student who has been offered a place withdraw from the programme, then their place will be offered to those on the waiting list.
If I am offered a place, what happens next?
We will follow up with information on the virtual and in-person sessions in early 2024.