Surgical Training Facility
Welcome to the Anatomy Discipline’s Surgical Training page. The Anatomy Discipline facilitates the hosting of surgical training courses with a state of the art simulated operating theatre environment. This purpose-built Dissection Theatre combines undergraduate and postgraduate teaching during the academic term and can offer a training venue for surgical courses outside of the academic term.
The Anatomy Dissection Theatre Facility is suitable for hosting courses for surgeons in training at intermediate, advanced and at consultant level. It has the capacity to integrate with endoscopic and arthroscopic facilities, give hands on experience with dissection, testing for new procedures, new surgical implants and medical devices. The venue can provide for training across a broad range of healthcare disciplines including physiotherapy, occupational therapy.
The Dissection Theatre offers the following facilities:
- 12 simulated OR skills teaching stations and a separate dedicated Tutor Station
- Each station is approximately 3.5sq metres and comfortably provides for up to 6 faculty or surgeons
- Each station has an integrated medical grade dicom standard AV system featuring Surgical lights, a 19” display monitor, a camera all on ceiling mounted central axis for flexibility in positioning, a 42” wall mounted display monitor, wireless control of audio and video from the Tutors ipad, a 42” annotator and video conferencing capacity to an external site or adjacent lecture theatre, capacity to integrate endoscopes from Smith and Nephew, Stryker, Olympus, Storz and Wolf.
- A dedicated scrub area for handwashing/donning gowns/ storing personal belongings.
- The option of a breakout room (Knowledge Exchange Floor 2) for tea and coffee refreshments or light lunch (A list of recommended caterers is provided)
- A roadside delivery bay with a lift straight to the Anatomy Laboratory Area (floor 1) for seamless roll on/roll off delivery of equipment
A sample of some of the Surgical Training Courses the Anatomy Discipline has hosted in the past:
- Irish Arthroscopy and Shoulder Symposium (hosted by Arthrex & Lynch Medical)
- IUGA -International Urogynological Association (hosted by the Master of the National Maternity Hospital, Holles Street)
- IHSS-Irish Hand Surgical Society (hosted by Smith and Nephew)
- Musculoskeletal Refresher Training Course for Physiotherapists (hosted by Dr. Nick Mahony, Anatomy Discipline)
- SMACC- Social Media and Critical Care (hosted by the Irish Association for Emergency Medicine)
- ESRA-European Society for Regional Anaesthesiology (hosted by Mr Harry Frizelle)
If you are Faculty or a course organiser interested in hosting a Surgical training course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a Training Request Form. Alternatively, please get in contact with us to discuss your requirements. It may be possible to facilitate small or short courses at other times throughout the academic year.