ADHD Resources and Reading Lists
Many thanks to Professor Blanaid Gavin, Associate Professor of Child Psychiatry in UCD, who compiled the original list of resources, and to the ADMiRE team and Trinity ADHD research group who have updated and added to this list. Thanks also to Kathryn Hallahan, Advanced Nurse Practitioner for her series of booklets about ADHD.
Sincere thanks to Ian Lihou and family for providing their artwork for this website.
- ADHD Ireland is a volunteer family support group. The Dublin branch is at Carmichael House, North Brunswick Street, Dublin 7. Tel: 01 874 8349. Website https://adhdireland.ie/
- Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD) is an US based non-profit organisation providing information and resources on ADHD. Website https://chadd.org
- Irish National Council of AD/HD Support Groups (INCADDS) is an umbrella organisation for the ADHD Support Groups active throughout the country. Website https://www.incadds.ie/
- The National Attention Deficit Disorder Information and Support Service (ADDISS) is a UK based charity providing information and resources on ADHD. Website http://www.addiss.co.uk/
- Health Service Executive (HSE). Website https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/a/adhd/
- National Institute of Mental Health (USA) Website:www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/attention-deficit-hyperactivity-disorder/complete-index.shtml
- Royal College of Psychiatrists (UK). Numerous leaflets and information Website: www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinfo/youngpeople.aspx
- “What Your ADHD Child Wishes You Knew: Working Together to Empower Kids for Success in School and Life” by Sharon Saline (Perigee Bks, 2018)
- “Understanding Girls with ADHD, Updated and Revised : How They Feel and Why They Do What They Do” By Kathleen Nadeau , Ellen Littman and Patricia Quinn (Publisher Advantage Books, 2015)
- “How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk” by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish (Templar Publishing, 2012). Also available on Audible
- “Step by Step Help for Children with ADHD: A Self-Help Manual for Parents” by Cathy Laver-Bradbury, Margaret Thompson, Anne Weeks, David Daley and Edmund J. S. Sonuga-Barke (Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2010)
- Barnardos have advice for parents available online.
- Website https://www.barnardos.ie/resources/parents/parenting-advice.
- They also have a national database with many parenting programmes that run throughout Ireland. Website: https://www.barnardos.ie/resources/parents/parenting-courses
- Incredible Years have a website to accompany the book of the same title “The Incredible Years: A Trouble-Shooting Guide for Parents of Children Aged 3-8 Years (3rd Edition)” by Carolyn Webster-Stratton (Contrapoint Publishing, 2019). Website http://www.incredibleyears.com/.
- There is also an evidence-based parenting course based on the book, that you can find out more about on https://www.archways.ie/our-programmes/incredible-years/
- “Can I Tell You about ADHD?: A Guide for Friends, Family and Professionals” by Susan Yarney (Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 2013)
- “Thriving with ADHD Workbook for Kids: 60 Fun Activities to Help Children Self-Regulate, Focus, and Succeed” by Kelli Miller (Althea Press, 2018)
- “The Survival Guide for Kids with ADHD” by John F. Taylor
- Cory Stories: A Kid's Book about Living with ADHD. Paperback by Jeanne Kraus
- Putting on the Brakes : Understanding and Taking Control of Your ADD or ADHD By Judith M. Stern. There is also an activity book for children available from the same authors.
- Galvin M, Ferraro S: Otto Learns About His Medicine: New York Press (2001); https://www.amazon.com/Otto-Learns-About-His-Medicine/dp/1557987718
- 50 Activities and Games for Kids with ADHD” by Patricia O. Quinn and Judith M. Stern. Magination Press, 2000: https://www.amazon.com/50-Activities-Games-Kids-ADHD/dp/1591474833
- “Get Organized Without Losing It”
- Where's My Stuff (Revised and Expanded): The Ultimate Teen Organizing Guide by Samantha Moss and Lesley Schwartz (Orange Avenue Publishing, 2019
- ADHD Information For Children (PDF 1.22MB)
- ADHD Information For Adolescents (PDF 1.58MB)
- ADHD Ireland booklet for Teachers (PDF 631kB)
- National Educational Psychological Service (2010) Behavioural, Emotional and Social Difficulties - A Continuum of Support: Guidelines for Teachers. Available at https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Services/National-Educational-Psychological-Service-NEPS-/neps_besd_continuum_teacher_guide.pdf
- Irish National Council of AD/HD Support Groups (INCADDS) Tips for Teachers. Website https://www.incadds.ie/tips-for-teachers.html
- “Teaching Teens With ADD and ADHD: A Quick Reference Guide for Teachers and Parents” by Chris A. Zeigler Dendy (Woodbine House, 2003)
- “How to teach and manage children with ADHD” by Fintan O’Regan. (LDA Publishing, 2002)
- “How To Reach And Teach Children with ADD / ADHD: Practical Techniques, Strategies, and Interventions” by Sandra F. Rief (Jossey-Bass, 2005).
- “Incredible Teachers: Nurturing Children's Social, Emotional, and Academic Competence” by Carolyn Webster-Stratton (Incredible Years, Incd, 2012).
There are also many useful resources available for teachers on the Incredible Years website.
Special Education Support Service (SESS) “Behaviour Resource Bank” is a compilation of Advice Sheets which cover both the preventative and management aspects of dealing with challenging behaviour. Available at https://www.sess.ie/behaviour-resource-bank.