What does a Disability Liaison Officer do?
Trinity has a well-established support system at School-level to ensure the needs of students with disabilities are addressed. Each school has a nominated staff member who is a key contact within the School for issues relating to disability support, called a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO).
The role of the School DLO is to oversee/monitor the School's process to ensure the effective dissemination and implementation of Reasonable Accommodations proposed by the DS. The DLO responsibilities include the following:
- To ensure that School staff who need to be aware of students' Reasonable Accommodations have access to the information in SITS.
- To raise with the relevant Director of Teaching & Learning and/or the Disability Service any concerns regarding accommodations that may impact the academic integrity or core competence standards of teaching and learning within the School.
- Liaising with Disability Service staff, their School's Directors of Teaching & Learning and Programme/Course Directors, and assisting in making Reasonable Accommodations for students, and exchanging information as required.
- The DLO is the first point of contact for students with disabilities when dealing with disability queries.
- The DLO should have a general awareness and understanding of University and school policies, procedures, and practices, and how these may impact on students with disabilities and long term conditions.
- The DLO should also have an awareness and understanding of Equality and Disability legislation, to ensure that their school is compliant with the legislation and is promoting inclusive learning for all students
- The DLO is not expected to have expert knowledge of disability issues. However, it is important that they work in collaboration with the Disability Service to identify training needs within the school.
- To be part of a University-wide network of DLOs for the purposes of sharing expertise, good practice and relevant knowledge, skills, and experience. The network will be supported by the DS
- To report to Academic Registry any technical issues with the SITS system for sharing students’ (LENS) Reasonable Accommodations
- To develop effective working relationships and establish positive lines of communication with the DS
- To attend training, workshops, and information events organised by DS.
Disability Liaison Officers
A list of all DLOs in Schools provided as part of the set up of dissemination of LENS information in SITS are given here. DLO roles and responsibilities are listed below.
|Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Drama, Film, and Music
|Dr John Kubiak
|Histories and Humanities
|Languages, Literature and Cultural Studies
|Dr Rachel Hoare
|Linguistic, Speech, and Communication Studies
Social Science and Philosophy
|Social Work and Social Policy
|School of Religion
|Faculty of Engineering, Mathematics and Science
|Biochemistry and Immunology
|Martha Motherway Gildea
|01 - 896 1607
|01- 896 3562
|Computer Science and Statistics
|Genetics and Microbiology
|Dr Plamel Stamenov
|Faculty of Health Sciences
|Nursing & Midwifery
|Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
|Dr Clodagh Nolan
|Human Nutrition & Dietetics
|Dr. Annemarie Bennett