What does a Disability Liaison Officer do?
Trinity has a well-established support system at School-level to ensure the needs of students with disabilities are addressed. Each school has a nominated staff member who is a key contact within the School for issues relating to disability support, called a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO).
The role of the School DLO is to oversee/monitor the School's process to ensure the effective dissemination and implementation of Reasonable Accommodations proposed by the DS. The DLO responsibilities include the following:
- To ensure that School staff who need to be aware of students' Reasonable Accommodations have access to the information in SITS.
- To raise with the relevant Director of Teaching & Learning and/or the Disability Service any concerns regarding accommodations that may impact the academic integrity or core competence standards of teaching and learning within the School.
- Liaising with Disability Service staff, their School's Directors of Teaching & Learning and Programme/Course Directors, and assisting in making Reasonable Accommodations for students, and exchanging information as required.
- The DLO is the first point of contact for students with disabilities when dealing with disability queries.
- The DLO should have a general awareness and understanding of University and school policies, procedures, and practices, and how these may impact on students with disabilities and long term conditions.
- The DLO should also have an awareness and understanding of Equality and Disability legislation, to ensure that their school is compliant with the legislation and is promoting inclusive learning for all students
- The DLO is not expected to have expert knowledge of disability issues. However, it is important that they work in collaboration with the Disability Service to identify training needs within the school.
- To be part of a University-wide network of DLOs for the purposes of sharing expertise, good practice and relevant knowledge, skills, and experience. The network will be supported by the DS
- To report to Academic Registry any technical issues with the SITS system for sharing students’ (LENS) Reasonable Accommodations
- To develop effective working relationships and establish positive lines of communication with the DS
- To attend training, workshops, and information events organised by DS.
Disability Liaison Officers
A list of all DLOs in Schools provided as part of the set up of dissemination of LENS information in SITS are given here. DLO roles and responsibilities are listed below.
|Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences||Name||Telephone||Disability Officer School contact|
|Business||Ms. Joanne Carolan||Joanne.Carolan@tcd.ie||01-896 2341||Declan Reilly - email@example.com|
|Drama, Film, and Music||Dr Nick Johnsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 2295||Declan Treanor - email@example.com|
|Education||Dr John Kubiakfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 3442||Declan Reilly - email@example.com|
|English||Dr. Alice Jorgensonfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 2337||Kieran Lewis - email@example.com|
|Histories and Humanities||Ciaran Bradyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 1578||Kevan O'Rourke - email@example.com|
|Languages, Literature and Cultural Studies||Dr Rachel Hoarefirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 1842||Andrew Costello - email@example.com|
|Law||Rachel Walshfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 1939||Kevan O'Rourke - email@example.com|
|Linguistic, Speech, and Communication Studies||Prof. Ailbhe Ni Chasaidefirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 1348||Andrew Costello - email@example.com|
|Lorraine Swordsfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 3638||Declan Reilly - email@example.com|
Social Science and Philosophy
|Michael Wycherleyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 5003||Declan Treanor - email@example.com|
|Social Work and Social Policy||Assistant Prof. Michael Feelyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 4101||Clare Malone - email@example.com|
|School of Religion||Dr Iain Atackfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 4777||Kevan O'Rourke - email@example.com|
|Faculty of Engineering, Mathematics and Science||Name||Telephone||Disability Officer School contact|
|Biochemistry and Immunology||Ms Martha Motherway Gildeafirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 4257||Declan Reilly - email@example.com|
|Chemistry||Professor Paula Colavitaefirstname.lastname@example.org||01- 896 3562||Declan Treanor - email@example.com|
|Computer Science and Statistics||Dr Andrew Butterfieldfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 2517||Andrew Costello - email@example.com|
|Engineering||Patricia Hughesfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 1383||Clare Malone - email@example.com|
|Genetics and Microbiology||Jane Farrarfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 3695||Kieran Lewis - email@example.com|
|Mathematics||Ms. Karen O'Dohertyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 1889||Andrew Costello - email@example.com|
|Natural Sciences||Dr Catherine Coxonfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 2235||Declan Reilly - email@example.com|
|Physics||Dr Plamel Stamenovfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 4350||Kevan O'Rourke - email@example.com|
|Faculty of Health Sciences||Name||Telephone||Disability Officer School contact|
|Dental Science||Prof. Derek Sullivan||01-612 7275||Declan Treanor - firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Medicine||Sharon Thompsonemail@example.com||01-896 3829||Declan Treanor - firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Radiation Therapy||Ms. Claire Pooleemail@example.com||01-896 2973||Clare Malone - firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Nursing & Midwifery||Valeria Smithemail@example.com||01-896 4031||Kieran Lewis - firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences||Dr John Walshemail@example.com||01-896 2806||Declan Reilly - firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Occupational Therapy||Dr Clodagh Nolanemail@example.com||01-896 3211||Declan Reilly - firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Physiotherapy||Ms Sarah McLaughlinemail@example.com||01-896 2110||Clare Malone - firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Human Nutrition & Dietetics||Dr. Annemarie Bennettemail@example.com||01-896 2477||Declan Treanor - firstname.lastname@example.org|