What does a Disability Liaison Officer do?
Trinity has a well-established support system at School-level to ensure the needs of students with disabilities are addressed. Each school has a nominated staff member who is a key contact within the School for issues relating to disability support, called a Disability Liaison Officer (DLO).
The role of the School DLO is to oversee/monitor the School's process to ensure the effective dissemination and implementation of Reasonable Accommodations proposed by the DS. The DLO responsibilities include the following:
- To ensure that School staff who need to be aware of students' Reasonable Accommodations have access to the information in SITS.
- To raise with the relevant Director of Teaching & Learning and/or the Disability Service any concerns regarding accommodations that may impact the academic integrity or core competence standards of teaching and learning within the School.
- Liaising with Disability Service staff, their School's Directors of Teaching & Learning and Programme/Course Directors, and assisting in making Reasonable Accommodations for students, and exchanging information as required.
- The DLO is the first point of contact for students with disabilities when dealing with disability queries.
- The DLO should have a general awareness and understanding of University and school policies, procedures, and practices, and how these may impact on students with disabilities and long term conditions.
- The DLO should also have an awareness and understanding of Equality and Disability legislation, to ensure that their school is compliant with the legislation and is promoting inclusive learning for all students
- The DLO is not expected to have expert knowledge of disability issues. However, it is important that they work in collaboration with the Disability Service to identify training needs within the school.
- To be part of a University-wide network of DLOs for the purposes of sharing expertise, good practice and relevant knowledge, skills, and experience. The network will be supported by the DS
- To report to Academic Registry any technical issues with the SITS system for sharing students’ (LENS) Reasonable Accommodations
- To develop effective working relationships and establish positive lines of communication with the DS
- To attend training, workshops, and information events organised by DS.
A list of all DLOs in Schools provided as part of the set up of dissemination of LENS information in SITS are given here. DLO roles and responsibilities are listed below.
How to find your Disability Liaison Officer
Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Business||David Byrnefirstname.lastname@example.org||Gerard Gallagher - email@example.com|
|Creative Arts||Dr. Nick Johnsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 2295||Declan Treanor - email@example.com|
|Education||Dr. John Kubiakfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 3442||Aisling Claffey - email@example.com|
|English||Rosie Lavanfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 2337||Kieran Lewis - email@example.com|
|Histories and Humanities||Robert Armstrongfirstname.lastname@example.org||01-896 1578||Kevan O'Rourke - email@example.com|
|Languages, Literature and Cultural Studies||Dr. Rachel Hoarefirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 1842||Andrew Costello - email@example.com|
|Law||Liz Heffernanfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 1625||Eithne Coleman - email@example.com|
|Linguistic, Speech, and Communication Studies||Prof. Ailbhe Ni Chasaidefirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 1348||Andrew Costello - email@example.com|
|Psychology||Lorraine Swordsfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 3638||Gerard Gallagher - email@example.com|
|Social Science and Philosophy||Dr. Michelle D'Arcyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 5003||Gerard Gallagher - email@example.com|
|School of Religion||Alexandra Grieserfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 4777||Kevan O'Rourke - email@example.com|
|Faculty of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science|
|Biochemistry and Immunology||Ms. Martha Motherway Gildeafirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 4257||Gerard Gallagher - email@example.com|
|Chemistry||Iouri Gounkofirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 3562||Declan Treanor - email@example.com|
|Computer Science and Statistics||Paula Robertsfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 2517||Andrew Costello - email@example.com|
|Engineering||Patricia Hughesfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 1383||Eithne Coleman - email@example.com|
|Genetics and Microbiology||Adrian Brackenfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 3695||Kieran Lewis - email@example.com|
|Mathematics||Ms. Karen O'Dohertyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 1889||Andrew Costello - email@example.com|
|Natural Sciences||Dr. Catherine Coxonfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 2235||Gerard Gallagher - email@example.com|
|Physics||Dr. Plamel Stamenovfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 4350||Kevan O'Rourke - email@example.com|
|Faculty of Health Sciences|
|Dental Science||Heather Reillyfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 612 7275||Declan Treanor - email@example.com|
|Medicine||Sharon Thompsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 3829||Gerard Gallagher - email@example.com|
|Radiation Therapy||Claire Poolefirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 2973||Clare Malone - email@example.com|
|Nursing & Midwifery||Valerie Smithfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 4031||Kieran Lewis - email@example.com|
|Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences||Helen Sheridanfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 2806||Eithne Coleman - email@example.com|
|Occupational Therapy||Dr. Clodagh Nolanfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 3211||Anna Galvin - email@example.com|
|Physiotherapy||Sarah McLaughlinfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 2110||Anna Galvin - email@example.com|
|Human Nutrition & Dietetics||Dr. Annemarie Bennettfirstname.lastname@example.org||01 896 2477||Declan Treanor - email@example.com|