Frequently Asked Questions

What does the Disability Service do?

The Disability Service provides reasonable accommodations to assist students to manage disabilities during their time in university. Reasonable accommodations (also referred to as supports) are actions that can be taken to alleviate disadvantages. This can include modifying the delivery of your course, making adaptations such as allowing extra time in exams and providing additional resources such as access to class notes in advance. Reasonable accommodations are decided on a case-by-case basis, depending on what each student needs. A needs assessment with a Disability Officer determines the reasonable accommodations a student will avail of. For more information on reasonable accommodations please click here.

What supports for ADHD can the Disability Service provide?

There are a wide range of supports available through the Disability Service, and these are determined based on individual need rather than by disability type. For a full list of the supports available please click here. Our Disability Specific Guide details some of the commonly used ADHD supports that students avail of and is available by clicking here.

Students can also self-enrol in our ASKDS Disability Service Supports Blackboard module and access the resources for ADHD.

  1. Log in to TCD Blackboard with your student user name and password.
  2. In the Module Search box on the right hand side of the page, type in disability service.
  3. Look for the blue ASKDS link on teh left hand side of the page.
  4. Click Enrol and then Submit.
  5. Return to your Blackboard main page.
  6. ASKDS Disability Service Supports should now appear in your module list.

Where can I get an ADHD assessment?

The assessment and diagnosis pathway through public health is explained on their website here. You should be aware that currently there are lengthy waiting lists.

Assessment through private health providers (clinical psychologists and psychiatrists) can be expensive and there may also be long waiting lists.  Seek further advice from ADHD Ireland on their Adult Support pages by clicking here. 

Trinity College does not provide services for assessment and diagnosis.

Online Adult ADHD support groups are also offered through ADHD Ireland.

Are there any support groups for ADHD in Trinity?

There is a student-led support group for ADHD.  This group creates a space for students to connect socially with others in the ADHD community at Trinity and to discuss participation in the daily tasks and activities involved in the student role. For more information and to register your interest in attending the group please click here.

How do I access the Disability Service?

Students can access disability service support by completing an application for reasonable accommodations on the portal (link). For more information and a step-by-step guide to completing the application please click here. If you would like assistance with completing the application or have questions that you would like to ask before applying you can contact the Disability Service by email at or by booking a drop-in appointment by clicking here for further information on booking a drop-in.

What happens after I apply for supports?

Once you have successfully completed your online application for reasonable accommodations a Disability Officer will make contact with you by email to arrange a needs assessment meeting.

What is a Needs Assessment?

A needs assessment is a meeting that takes place with your Disability Officer to determine what reasonable accommodations you require. Your Disability Officer will ask you about the nature of your course, aspects of your course or student role that you are experiencing challenges with, any supports or accommodations you may have used in the past and who you might wish to disclose information about your needs to (such as your course, lecturers and tutor).

Your Disability Officer will then discuss the available supports and you can agree together what accommodations you would like to avail of. By the end of your needs assessment meeting you and your Disability Officer will draft a Learning Educational Needs Summary (LENS) report, which details the reasonable accommodations to be implemented. If necessary, and with your permission, your Disability Officer will share your LENS report with your academic department

What is a LENS?

A LENS (Learning Educational Needs Summary) Report is a document that includes details of the reasonable accommodations a student is availing of in college. An individualised LENS Report is created with your Disability Officer when you meet for a needs assessment. For more information about the LENS Report please click here.

Will my course and academic staff be informed about my needs?

Your Disability Officer will discuss sharing information about your disability needs with you as part of your needs assessment to determine what level of disclosure is necessary and what you are comfortable with. With your formal permission your Disability Officer may share a copy of your LENS report with your academic department and with your tutor following your needs assessment. It’s important to note that it is the decision of each individual student to share information about their disability.

How do I contact the Disability Service?

You can contact the Disability Service by emailing, or by booking a drop-in appointment to speak with a Disability Officer directly. Please click here for further information on booking a drop-in. You will find more information about the Disability Service team and details of how to contact staff by clicking here to see staff profiles.

What is Specialist Academic Support and how do I access this?

Specialist Academic Support provides assistance with managing your academic demands. This involves one-to-one meetings to explore areas such as planning your academic workload and study scheduling, essay-writing skills, exam preparation techniques, strategies for academic reading and writing, and using online and technology resources to enhance your learning. Your Disability Officer can arrange for you to meet with an Academic Support Specialist, or you can make an enquiry by emailing Please click here for more information on specialist academic support.

Students can also 1-1 academic support via Student Learning Development, appointments are available through their webiste available here.

What is Assistive Technology and how do I access this?

The main function of Assistive Technology (AT) is to provide helpful information and support on how you can get the best use out of technology by adapting it to your study needs. AT is defined as "any use of technology which helps you perform a task more easily". AT is a broad field ranging from the use of very simple technology, such as your mobile phone e-mail, to the very complex, such as use of voice recognition software or technology that reads information from your computer screen for you. For more information on Assistive Technology, including the types of technology on offer please click here. Your Disability Officer can arrange for you to have an Assistive Technology assessment, or you can make an enquiry by emailing  You can read more about AT options and advice by clicking here.