Course / subject help
DS maintains a Pearl Trees account on which by clicking this link that we think may be useful. Most of these are on-line and interactive.Dstrinity
Specialist Academic Support
Dr. Alison Doyle is working in Trinity for 14 hours per week to provide specialist academic support on a one to one basis. The academic supports include but are not limited to:
- Creating bespoke study and exam timetables
- Teaching specific skills (essay structure, revision techniques, referencing, thesis)
- Strategies for reading academic journals and texts
- Using online technology to improve writing
- Organising Blackboard calendars and managing assignment deadlines
- Transition support for students with Asperger’s Syndrome
Referral for this support is via your Disability Officer. Once referred please check available appointments and book a day and time that suits your academic schedule - to book a time please use this link.
Best of the Web
We are constantly reviewing the world wide web to source the very best available resources, saving you valuable study time:
Cite this for me
Automatically create website citations in the APA, MLA, Chicago, or Harvard referencing styles at the click of a button. by clicking this link.
A visual guide to essay writing
If you’re a visual thinker, you can get quite frustrated in an educational system that marks not your understanding as such, but your ability to express it in a linear chain of reasoning with all the links spelt out. To make this linear way of thinking easier to grasp please view the online guide to writing an essay as a visual learner by clicking this link.
Free iTunes podcasts from the Open University to download 'Start Writing Essays': Start writing essays podcast
The Academic Phrase bank
The general resource is for academic writers. It aims to provide you with examples of some phrases for use in essays. The phrases can be used simply to assist you in thinking about your writing, or they can be used in your own work where this is appropriate:
This great free tool allows faculty and students to set agreed timelines and set clear date gaols for completion of project or group work - click this to access this resource
Best of the rest
- Study Skills Support: Everything you need to know about study skills: Brite online resources
- Maths and stats tutorials podcasts: http://www.mathcentre.co.uk/students/courses
- Assignment Calculator: Type in the date an assignment must be submitted, and it calculates the tasks you need to do each day leading up to the submission date. Try it!: http://www.kent.ac.uk/uelt/ai/ask/index.php
- Memory Tool: Having trouble memorizing stuff for exams? Watch this video: http://www.dystalk.com/talks/23-ed-cooke-and-some-nifty-memory-tricks
- Organize your notes /create an essay outline:www.exploratree.org.uk
- Nursing Videos: The School of Nursing in Nottingham University has an excellent collection of online videos and tutorials
- 2000+ maths lessons with online exercises: http://www.khanacademy.org/#browse
- MS Excel Support: Having trouble in understanding Excel, try these free Excel tutorials.
- Irish language Proofing Tools - Irish language--Proofing software - Irish language Proofing Tools available for Microsoft Office and also Language Packs that change the language of the user interface and menus.