Touch Typing Technologies
Do you type with two fingers? Do you still need to look at your keyboard before every keystroke?
Touch typing is a method based on muscle memory instead of sight. This method allows you to achieve much higher speed of data entry, especially if you need to transcribe text from other visual material. Typing with the touch typing method significantly improves your computer productivity; it increases data entry speed and, where possible, reduces fatigue and injury to the eyes.
Free to use Typing Software
There are some excellent, free Assistive Technology sources available online. Below are some of the available resources
Typing.com is a free online typing tutor & keyboarding tutorial for typists of all skill levels. Typing.com includes entertaining typing games, typing tests, and free official typing certification.
- Typing.com runs from your web browser, so you will always have the latest features accessible from anywhere.
- Complete Course - Novice to Professional
- Plenty of versatile lessons, each meant to focus on specific problem areas such as speed, accuracy, key-rows, and trouble-keys, work your typing strengths and weaknesses.
- The below video gives an overview of styping.com (skip to 46sec)
A very quick overview of using Typing.com to learn to type properly.
Letterbubbles is an interactive game but also helps you improve you typing skills. This tool is free and helps you keep you focus on the screen and off the keyboard !!
Academic Support help
For further help and gaining strategies to help you take effective notes please view are academic support page which give you information on:
- How to use your lecture note effectively
- Strategies for taking notes in a lecture
- Introduction to the Cornell method of note-taking