Getting Information Ready for New Students
Ensuring clarity and embedding inclusive practices into admissions and pre registration procedures ensures that prospective students:
- Have a positive first impression of the institution,
- Know how to proceed through the application process, leading to higher recruitment numbers,
- Can make informed choices when choosing a programme of study, leading to higher retention rates.
Guidelines for Inclusive Pre-Admission processes
Ensure all materials:
- Are available externally (if online).
- Follow the College Accessibility Policy.
- Give clear, unambiguous and accurate information to students.
- Are updated frequently
- Are available to students in different formats (including print and electronic),
- Are available as early as possible.
Programme Requirements: This video asks are programme requirements free of unnecessary barriers (length 51s).
- All pre-requisites are necessary to the successful completion of the course
- All pre requisites are clearly signposted in your materials for prospective students,
- Prospective students know what is expected of them.
- Application forms are clear, easy to access, and accessible to complete.
It is useful to give prospective students detailed information relating to assessment within your programme. For example:
- What percentage of your course is graded on continuous assessment and what percentage on examinations?
- Are there formative assessment opportunities?
- What assessment methods are used?
TIC 1 - The Application Process
Dr. Rhodes from the School of Business, TCD, discusses the considerations of the MSc in International Management when designing an inclusive application process.
When Interviewing applicants:
- Consider any additional needs for applicants in advance.
- Ask prospective students if they have any particular requirements.
- Hold interviews in accessible rooms where applicable.
- Ensure there is timely notice of the time and location of interviews.
- Advise prospective students of materials to be brought to interviews in good time.
- If the interview will involve a presentation, ensure all information is circulated in good time.
Interviews: This video investigates whether student needs are considered prior to interviews to ensure an inclusive process.
Take time to complete a brief self-evaluation of your:
- pre-admission processes (5 questions)