Power Electronic Design Laboratory
Supporting a number of key platforms. The Power Electronic design laboratory provides facilities for simulation, design and prototyping of electronic circuits. Power Electronics (PE) deals with conversion and control of electrical power with the help of electronic switching devices. They are advantageous due to their high efficiency and ability to cool faster over conventional analogue or digital electronic devices, saving energy.
Location: SNIAM building –1.33
Power Electronics bandwidth of applications ranges from renewable energy systems to electrified transportation
Renewable energy systems such as solar-PV systems and wind are promising renewable energy sources for generation of electricity with sustainable growth in the years to come.
The recent developments in the field of PE have significant impacts on research and development of renewable energy systems for generation of electricity.
Electrified transportation is the outcome of the paradigm shift from conventional ICE-based vehicles to more efficient and cleaner electrified vehicles. Electrification can occur in both vehicular propulsion and non-propulsion loads. Higher degrees of electrification represent a larger power electrical path leading to less use of fossil fuels and hence, better fuel economy and lower GHG emissions
The laboratory provides work space, tools, computer-aided design software to draw schematics, simulate circuits and systems, and to design and layout printed circuit boards. The principle areas are
- Circuit simulation & layout design
- Electronic circuit prototyping
- Circuit board preparation
Circuit simulation & layout design
The circuit simulation and layout design area comprises of a networked PC with circuit simulation software, PCB cad software and printer.
- Circuit simulation is provided using LTspice, design simulation tools and device models to allow even novice designers to quickly and easily evaluate circuits using high performance switching regulators, amplifiers, data converters, filters and more.
- Circuit design and PCB layout design is provided using DipTrace cad software. DipTrace is PCB design software. EDA/CAD package with autorouter, Schematic Capture multi-level hierarchy, real-time DRC, 3D Preview/export, Gerber output and comprhensive component and pattern libraries.
Electronic circuit prototyping
The laboratory provides three options for electronic circuit PCB prototyping. CNC Router, UV lithography/chemical etching and external company.
- CCNC Router: High quality computer controlled drilling and milling machine with semi-automatic or automatic tool change. It allows direct processing of Excellon or Sieb&Meyer drill data or HP/GL data for the PCB production (drilling, milling, isolation routing) and milling / routing of plastics, aluminum and other metals.
- UV lithography using photo-resistive laminate boards: PCB mask designs are UV exposed, developed and chemically spray etched
- Prototyping boards using external company: PCB design can also be sent to an external company for fabrication using PCB Pool
Circuit board preparation
The circuit board preparation area comprises of tools and equipment required to prepare the PCB circuit board post prototyping. This included dicing, drilling and soldering station.
LTspice download http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/
Bungard CNC https://www.bungard.de/index.php/en/products/cnc-machines
Arduino microcontroller software, hardware, tutorials https://www.arduino.cc
PCB Pool https://www.pcb-pool.com/ppuk/order_productconfiguration_js.html