Fundraising Projects

Physics Alumni have been generous in contributing to College fundraising via Trinity Foundation. In a new strategy, it is possible to direct funds to a specific school. There are two ways to do this:

Images of Alumni and students at a Student Careers Networking

First, 75% of a general gift to "Physics" will be used to support our outreach activity, such as the Transition Year Physics Experience (TYPE); the remaining 25% will be used to support Physics undergraduates in the Trinity Access Programme (TAP).

Secondly, we have identified three Physics-related projects that alumni might wish to support. They are the Walton sculpture, the new appointment to the Erasmus Smith Chair, and the Irish Low Frequency Array radio telescope. You can find out more (and how to donate) by following the links below.


How to make a donation

If you would like to make a donation to any of these projects click on one of the "MAKE A DONATION" buttons below.
Please ensure you mention the appropriate project name in the box marked "other" when completing the donation form.

i-iofar image of earth and the solar systemI-Lofar

The Irish Low Frequency Array (I-LOFAR) project aims to build a cutting-edge radio telescope in Birr Castle Demesne, home of the historical Leviathon optical telescope. The project will see Ireland join the International LOFAR network. See or contact



An image of the Walton Sculpture Apples and AtomsWalton Sculpture

Nobel Laureate and former Professor of Natural and Experimental Philosophy, E. T. S. Walton, will be commemorated in a new campus sculpture by Eilis O'Connell. The sculpture also marks Dublin's designation as the European City of Science 2012.



Image of Professor Michael Coey in conversationErasmus Smith Chair

The Erasmus Smith Chair of Natural and Experimental Philosophy was established in 1724; distinguished holders include George Francis FitzGerald, E T S Walton, Denis Weaire and its most recent incumbent, Michael Coey. To sustain this record of distinction in research will require significant financial support for the new holder.