Marie Sklodowska–Curie Individual Fellowship (MSCA – IF) 2019 call
The Ultramicroscopy group is interested in receiving expressions of interest for potential candidates for the Marie Sklodowska – Curie Individual Fellowship (MSCA – IF) 2019 call. Ideal candidates to join the group under this scheme may have one of a range of backgrounds including; atomic-resolution STEM imaging and spectroscopy, image-processing and programming, machine-learning and computer vision, magnetic/electric field simulation, or electronics and applied signal-processing. Projects related to any of the groups activities are welcomed.
Deadline to submit the proposal at the EC: 11/Sept/2019, 17:00h (Brussels time). Full detils are available at the EURAXESS website.
Open PhD Opportunities (September 2019 start)
AMBER PhD Award
The Computational Spintronics group and Ultramicroscopy group are currently recruiting for a joint PhD student to start in September 2019.
- The ideal applicants will have a 1st Class Honours Bachelor’s degree in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science or related disciplines. Previous experience with electron microscopy and/or electronic structure theory would be advantageous but not essential. The researcher will work closely with other members of a multidisciplinary project team. Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential.
This position is funded by the SFI-research centre AMBER. The AMBER research centre, as a community of researchers, welcomes its responsibility to provide equal opportunities for all. We are actively seeking diversity in our research teams and particularly encourage applications from underrepresented groups.Positions will remain opened until filled but preferred start date is September 2 2019.
Proposed Final-year Projects (Michaelmas 2019)
Final-year Physics undergraduate students interested in electron microscopy are encouraged to get in touch to discuss potential projects in the Advanced Microscopy Laboratory for 2019.
- "Development of an Electron Counting Circuit with Nanosecond-scale Sensitivity"
- "Prediction, Measurement and Correction of Electron Lenses Aberrations"
- "Evaluation of 3D Printed Polymers for Electron Microscope Sample Holders/Supports"
- "Analysing 3D Printed Metal Parts using X-rays and Electrons"
Proposed Final-year Projects (Michaelmas 2020)
Final-year Physics undergraduate students interested in electron microscopy are encouraged to get in touch to discuss potential projects in the Advanced Microscopy Laboratory for 2020.
- "Evaluating TEM sample holder performance for low-voltage x-ray mapping"
- "Sustainable phase-change materials for precision thermal regulation"
Rolling PhD Opportunities
Enquiries form interested students are always welcome under the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scholarship Programme.
Summer Internship Opportunities
The Ultramicroscopy group, based in the Advanced Microscopy Laboratory may be able to offer summer work experience for Trinity undergraduates. Interested students should contact the group for more details.