Computer ownership and administrative changes
- Every computer connected to college network has to have a Registered Owner.
- Registered Owners should add themselves to the Administrator Group - this is normally done during Network Configuration steps.
- Registered Owner can add other college users to the Administrator Group.
- Registered Owner can authorise Local Administrator password reset. This task is performed by IT Services and may require a call-out to your office.
Change of Ownership
- Registered Owner can request ownership change. The Authorizing Party should email the IT Service Desk requesting the change. We will need the computer name and the username of the new owner.
Head of the Department
- If the Registered Owner is unavailable, only Head of the Department or Line Manager can request ownership change and authorise Local Administrator password reset.
- Users set up as Administrators have full access to all files and programs on the computer.
- A Local Administrator who is not the Registered Owner cannot request ownership change and cannot authorise Local Administrator password reset.
- They can, however, reset Administrator Password from within Windows.
- Users in the Administrator Group can also add other users as administrators.
- Can log on to a machine and use software, the Internet or email.
- Standard Users can only access files in their profile.