Named Collections - C
Titlepage of The Oratorio of the Messiah, by Handel, Dublin, 1839. From the Trinity College Dublin Choral Society collection. OLS L-7-491
This is the major part of the repertory play stock of the Carrickford Theatre Company, which toured Ireland between 1900 and the late 1940s. Some of the plays are annotated for performance and there are some playbills for performances at the Mechanics’ Theatre of Varieties, Dublin, and for various provincial venues.
Presented by R. and S. Carrickford, 1995.
673 items in over 300 volumes.
These works are from the collection of Joseph Carson, d.1898, F.T.C.D. 1838, Vice-Provost 1890-1898. They include French politics and literature, German theology and an extensive range of late 19th-century pamphlets on Irish religious and political affairs.
This collection is from the library of the Duke of Leinster at Carton House, Maynooth, Co. Kildare. It is comprised of 17th and 18th-century French works, and a few English works, on historical and literary topics
Bought at the auction of the library, 1949.
This is a selection from the library of the TCD Choral Society of music it performed during the late-19th and early-20th centuries. There is an extensive run of concert programmes from the Society’s foundation in 1837.
350 volumes approx.
This collection is what remains of the library of the Society, founded in 1770. The emphasis is on Philosophy, History and "polite literature". It also includes works relating to the operation of the Society and Auditors' speeches. There are 11 items listed in Wing and over 200 18th-century items.
2,000 items approx. in 218 volumes.
These pamphlets are from the library of Christopher Henry Earbery (1764 - c.1811) of Dublin. On his death his estates went to his sisters, one of whom married the Rev. Henry William Crofton of Inchinappa, Co. Wicklow.
The collection contains mostly 18th century Dublin and London imprints. Approximately 10%, however, are from the 17th century (Wing) and there are a few STC items. Subject emphasis is on politics and economics, especially Irish.
Presented by Miss A. Crofton of Inchinappa, Ashford, Co. Wicklow, 1955.
The Cuala Press Project focuses on two collections, the Cuala Press Print Collection (TCD MS 11574) and the Cuala Press Business Archives (TCD MS 11535). The aim of the project is to catalogue, conserve, research and digitize the collections, providing access to researchers, schoars of all ages and the wider public
The Cuala Press Print collection comprises hand-coloured prints designed for the Cuala Press by artists such as Dorothy Blackham, Lady Glenavy (Beatrice Elvery), Hilda Roberts, Elizabeth Corbet Yeats, Mary Cottenham Yeats, and Jack Butler Yeats. The Cuala Press Print Collection (MS 11574), amassed and presented by Vin Ryan in 2017, consists of 112 photoengraved prints and cards produced by the original Cuala Press. The descriptive list is available online. A further collection of almost 90 prints, from the revival period of the Press, was also presented by the Yeats family (MS 11567).
The Cuala Press Business Archives comprises approximately 81 boxes of material relating to the company business such as minute books of directors' meetings, cash books and letters. The collection also includes original preparatory drawings for prints, sample books, and designs for embroidery. Personal material such as photograph albums and scrapbooks provide an invaluable insight to the working lives of the women of Cuala. The surviving part of the Press archive includes some minute books of directors' meetings, cash books, letters, business papers, some original drawings for prints and sample books. It also the printing press, type and some hundreds of printer's blocks. The archive is fragmentary and most material relating to W.B and Jack B. Yeats had been removed before accession. Material is richer for the revival period of the Press, beginning in 1968. This includes minutes of board meetings, correspondence, financial papers and papers relating to each publication. The archive has been fully catalogued and the descriptive catalogue is available online.
The Cuala Press Business Archives (MS 11535) were presented by Michael and Anne Yeats, 1986. Additional material relating to work done for the Cuala Press by Eileen Peet was presented by Mrs Jane Williams in 2002, and amalgamated into the archive.
This is the personal collection of Marjorie Cunningham, warden of Trinity Hall 1908-1940. It contains much Anglo-Irish literature from the early part of the 20th century as well as works dealing with adult education.
The collection was purchased for Trinity Hall by subscription after her death and was transferred to the Department of Early Printed Books.