From 4 September 2019
These items have been purchased by the Library to support teaching and research.
- Students and staff may borrow up to 10 items from General Lending
- Books are issued for an initial period of four weeks, unless the book is required by other readers
- Books may be renewed up to five times, unless the book is required by other readers
- Items must be returned to the Service Counter or FastLane machines of the Library from where they were borrowed
- LEN in the BLU Libraries
- S-LEN in the Hamilton Library
- SJ in the John Stearne Medical Library
- MUS LEN in the Ussher Library
- P-MUS LEN in the Ussher Library
Most DVDs are currently General Lending items, and count as part of the 10 General Lending allowance. However, they can only be borrowed for two days at a time and cannot be renewed.
These items have been received by the Library under its status as a Legal Deposit Library, or are being treated as such. Some material is available directly from reading rooms, some is in storage.
On the shelves
- Most Legal Deposit material in the BLU has no prefix, simply the shelfmark (for example, 370.9415 N33;3)
- Some material in the BLU has the legacy prefix ARTS (for example, ARTS 309.1415 N36)
- No prefix in the Hamilton Library
- SJR in the John Stearne Medical Library
- Books are issued for an initial period of four weeks (postgraduates and Special Borrowing Privileges) or twelve weeks (staff), unless the book is required by other readers
These items are in high demand, generally due to being on a reading list or being required for exams; they are located by the Service Counters of the Berkeley, Hamilton and John Stearne Medical Libraries. They may not be removed from the reading rooms of the library in which they are located (any reading room in the BLU for items borrowed from the Berkeley Library).
- Undergrauate students may borrow up to ten items from Short Loan in addition to any other material they have borrowed
- Postgraduate students and staff may borrow up to 50 items from Short Loan, as part of their overall allowance of 50 items
- Items are issued for five hours
- Items are borrowed for use in the Library only
- Items must be returned to the Service Counter from where they were borrowed
- Heavy fines for late return
These items are for consultation only and cannot be borrowed. Some material is available directly from reading rooms, some is in storage.
Journals (prefixes PER, SER) and theses (prefix THESIS) are always for consultation only.
Early Printed Books and Special Collections
These items cannot be borrowed, and may only be consulted in the Early Printed Books Reading Room.
Manuscripts and Archives Research Library Collections
These items cannot be borrowed, and may only be consulted in the Manuscripts and Archives Research Library.