Off Campus Access
- For staff, access to off campus resources is independent to signing the Library Bond
- Off campus access is not available for UK electronic legal deposit, UK eLD, material
- Off campus access to electronic resources is not available to visiting readers, who may only use these resources when physically in the Library
- Users experiencing difficulties with their College username and network login password should contact the IT Service Desk
- Users experiencing difficulties accessing a specific electronic journal (e-journal), electronic book (e-book) or database from off campus should contact the Sub Librarian (Digital Systems and Services) or their Subject Librarian
Access via the Library website and Stella Search
If you are a registered student or member of staff, it is possible to access all online information resources from off campus. Simply follow the Databases and E-Books A-Z links or links in Stella Search and login, using your Trinity username and password as directed. It is essential to login otherwise the service provider will not recognise you as being from Trinity College Dublin.
For academic staff and researchers using College's VPN, we *strongly* advise using the Google instructions/method below to access articles. Access via the Library website and Stella Search requires you to disconnect from the University VPN.
Lean Library - access PDFs via Google and Google Scholar
The Lean Library extension provides quick and simple access to digital content purchased by the Library of Trinity College Dublin. Install the extension, select Trinity College Dublin, and it will automatically detect when you are on a website that contains content the Library subscribes to - the extension icon will turn green and a pop-up will explain what to do.
It will automatically give you the Trinity version of Google Scholar and makes it much easier to find PDFs when you start in Google, Google Scholar, PubMed and so on.
If the content you'd like to use doesn't seem accessible, the extension will automatically check for Open Access versions of the article. We are currently working on a final alternative of offering an Inter-Library Loan request form if an OA version is not available - watch this space!
The pop-up will also show on a few popular websites where we have alternative access via a different route, such as the Irish Times and Financial Times - here, the icon will turn orange.
If you prefer to search for articles using Stella Search that is still perfectly possible, but we advise installing Lean Library just in case you ever need to find an article via Google or Google Scholar.
Lean Library is not a replacement for our subscription databases – if you need to use Scopus, Westlaw, MEDLINE and so on, go to our Databases and E-Books A-Z and access them there. Databases will usually already have links called "Check TCD e-journals" or "Full Text Finder" to help get you PDFs. It will also generally not be useful for books, e-books, or chapters in books and e-books.