Counter Services staff and the storage team in the Department manage the various reading rooms in the Library (Berkeley, Lecky, Ussher (BLU) Libraries, the Hamilton Science and Engineering Library and the John Stearne Medical Library), including their facilities and collections. Staff in these areas are responsible for the coordination of reading room services such as, the borrowing and renewing of materials, the processing of storage requests in response to readers’ requests, and the shelving and sorting of books and journals.
The Duty Librarian Service is an enquiry or reference desk service operated by a team of librarians in the Readers’ Services Department. The main functions include:
- Reference assistance
- Guidance on the use of information resources (catalogues, databases, and electronic journals)
- Information on services offered by the Library (assistance on My Library Account features, referrals to specialist staff)
- Assistance locating material in the Library and beyond (visiting other libraries, Inter-Library Loans)
Through its team of Subject Librarians the department provides the following services to support the teaching and learning (link to Support for Teaching) needs of students and academic staff:
- Ordering of multiple copies of reading list material
- Inclusion of material in the short loan collection
- Provision of library tours and advice and support on using the Library
- Development and coordination of various Information Skills programmes
- Embedding of information literacy into the curriculum in collaboration with academic staff
- Information skills training sessions targeted to meet researchers’ specialist training needs
- EndNote (bibliographic management software training sessions
- Advice and support on research projects and literature reviews
- Assisting researchers with the creation of research profiles within the Research Support System (RSS) and aiding deposit within Trinity College Dublin's institutional repository TARA
The management and development of digital library services to support the teaching and research needs of staff and students is also the responsibility of staff within the Readers’ Services Department. The Sub-Librarian for Electronic Resources, and the Digital Services Librarian, are responsible for:
- Evaluating, selecting and acquiring electronic resources (e-journals, e-books and databases)
- Negotiating electronic resource licence agreement with providers and publishers on behalf of the College community
- Maintaining off campus access to the resources
- Defining and delivering the Library’s web presence and ensuring the web is exploited as key service channel
The team work closely with staff in the Collection Management Department of the Library to exploit electronic resources through the implementation and maintenance of discovery platforms and finding tools.
Readers' Services has a complement of over 80 staff which is headed by the Deputy Librarian.
Please contact us if you have a question.
Telephone: +353 1 8961127