Renewals and Recalls
From Monday 17 August 2020
Items may be renewed for further loan periods under certain circumstances. After the last allowed renewal material must be returned to the Library, but may then be borrowed again.
- Items cannot be renewed if a student has outstanding fines of more than €20
- Items cannot be renewed if another reader has recalled the item
- Items cannot be renewed if they are more than two days overdue
- Overdue items must be returned to a Service Counter, not via self-service kiosks
- Readers can only renew items up to the expiry date of their Library Account. After an account's expiry date, it will not be possible to access My Library Account
The Library recommends renewing items online via My Library Account, where the details of the items borrowed and the current return dates are available.
As renewing may be disallowed by another reader recalling an item, it may be prudent to renew books the day before they are due to be returned, to allow time to return the item and not incur a fine.
Items may also be renewed in person via self-service kiosks.
Items cannot be renewed by telephone or e-mail. Please do not ask.
General Lending Items
Undergraduates may generally renew General Lending items a total of five times. Staff and postgraduate students may generally renew Legal Deposit items one more time. The reader's account must be in good standing and the item must not have been recalled by another reader.
Legal Deposit Items
Staff and postgraduate students may generally renew Legal Deposit items one more time, if the reader's account is in good standing and the item has not been recalled by another reader.
Recalls are currently suspended due to COVID-19. However, reservations (to place yourself next in line for a book currently on loan) are possible by contacting us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org - this will not currently shorten the due date of an item.
High Demand Items
If an item is in high demand, with multiple requests placed upon that copy, the borrowing time will be limited to seven days. This shorter loan period will be communicated to readers when they borrow the item.