Occasional Staff and Casual Payroll
Managers who are responsible for engaging staff on an occasional / casual / hourly paid basis must be aware of the Occasional Staff Policy and the process for setting up occasional staff.
Policy on Occasional Staff and Casual Payroll
- The university has approved a Policy on Occasional Staff and casual payroll.
- The policy was developed with input from a range of stakeholders and with reference to legislative and revenue requirements.
Process for set up of Occasional Staff
- We have updated the process of setting up Occasional Staff with a new form and new email address: HROccasionalStaff@tcd.ie.
- This process ensures that staff are set up correctly in advance in line with audit and legislative requirements.
- The Engagement Form is in two parts:
- Part A: completed by the Manager and sent to the Employee
- Part B: completed by the Occasional employee and sent to HR and Line Manager / Local Administrator.
- The completed 'Staff Engagement Form' will now also serve as the Terms and Conditions document. Issuing this document is a legal requirement for Trinity.
- Completed forms should be emailed to email@example.com. This is a mandatory step before claim forms can be received and processed by Payroll.
Payment to Occasional Staff
- The process for payment of Occasional staff on the Casual Payroll remains the same. The layout of the claim form has been updated, but all deadlines for payment remain the same.
- Completed forms should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rates of pay for occasional work / casual work are available on the HR website.
- For existing Staff, please send the claim forms to Payroll in the new format only. Staff ID or PPS number is mandatory on the Form.
- For staff who require access to systems, this is now included on the 'Staff Engagement Form'. When this is requested, it will provide the required access without the need to complete an additional Nomination Form.
- Staff already on Monthly or Fortnightly Payroll – Please specify on the Claim form as appropriate and Staff ID or PPS number is mandatory.
- Staff who have left and come back on Casual Payroll - Please complete and send the Staff Engagement and Personal Details forms as per the new process. Please indicate on the form the Visitor ID if you have it.
- Staff who leave TCD and are hired back again after a period of 3 months - Please complete and send the Staff Engagement and Personal Details forms as per the new process.
- Please ensure that Employee Engagement Form and Claim Forms are sent in only once to eliminate any processing delays and duplication.
- The checks for eligibility to work will be self-declared by the Employee as part of the personal details section of the 'Staff Engagement Form' (Part 2). Where the employee has indicated that they are eligible to work, they may commence straight away. Wher there is uncertainty on a person's eligibility to work, they may not commence work until HR has reviewed and confirmed this to the Line Manager.
- FAQ on eligibility.
A summary of the Miscellaneous Provisions Act 2018 and what it means
Occasional Staff Casual Payroll Engagement Personal Details Form (replaces "firstEuroCasualClaimForm")
Occasional Staff Casual Payroll Claim Form (replaces "eurocasualclaimform")