Clinical Staff Promotions 2019
Please Note: The information contained on this website is only meant to supplement information contained in the policy. The information contained here supplements information in the policy but this website does not act as a substitute. All candidates should familiarise themselves with the Policy before applying.
Human Resources are pleased to announce the call for Clinical Staff Promotions 2019. This call opens on 6th February 2019 and please note your relevant closing date, per grade of staff, as they vary. The closing date for receipt of applications is 12 Noon on 15th of May, 2019. We have developed a new online application process.
Trinity College Dublin is committed to promoting equality in all aspects of its activity, including promotions, in line with the College Equality Policy. Trinity is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications for promotion from all eligible sections of the College community.
All queries relating to the Clinical Academic Promotions Call can be made to Senpromo@tcd.ie. Contact number for Human Resources is extension 3333.
The Clinical Staff Promotions Policy is available at https://www.tcd.ie/hr/assets/pdf/procedure58-clinical-academic-promotions.pdf.
Please note this is a new policy and prior to submitting any application to this call we advise that you read through the policy and familiarise yourself with the procedure. If you have any queries relating to the Clinical Staff Promotions Procedure please email email@example.com or telephone Human Resources, extension 3333.
Types of Promotion Application / Eligibility Criteria
There is one online application process for all categories of applications. Within the online form you must select the promotion grade that applies to your application.
Applications in 2019 are divided into three promotional grades:
- Clinical Professor
- Clinical Associate Professor
- Clinical Senior Lecturer
To be eligible to be considered for promotion to as the above grades candidates must have passed probation as a permanent hospital consultant before applying for promotion, if relevant.
Candidates may submit no more than two applications for promotion to a given grade in the same three-year period. Each application shall be judged on its own merits, regardless of the outcome of any application in previous year(s).
For more information on the eligibility criteria please see Section 3 Eligibility, Review Procedures for Clinical Staff for Promotion to Clinical Professor, Clinical Associate Professor and Clinical Senior Lecturer Grades.
The New Online Application Process
There are 3 steps in the new online application process:
- Step 1, the applicant completes their user profile on the MyRSS by using the Promotions CV Wizard to fill out the Clinical Staff Promotions Application Form. The applicant outputs their Promotions CV document to Word and completes the Section 4.2 on Teaching and Section 4.4 on Supervision as well as reviewing the overall content of the application document.
- Step 2, the applicant shall include a list of four external referees who are experts in the candidate’s discipline, of which not more than one shall normally be based in Ireland. They should not be recent (within the past 7 years) collaborators, and should not be, or have been, co-authors with the candidate. They should not be, or have been, the applicant’s PhD supervisor, or vice versa (for more information on External Referees see section 8. External Referees, Review Procedures for Clinical Staff for Promotion to Clinical Professor, Clinical Associate Professor and Clinical Senior Lecturer Grades.).
- Step 3, the applicant uploads to e-recruitment their completed promotion application, and External Assessor list.
Step 1 – Using the MyRSS Promotions Wizard
- The Promotions Wizard is accessible to all active RSS users here: https://tcdlocalportal.tcd.ie/pls/EnterApex/f?p=115:110 or via the RSS Reports Menu
- After clicking on the reports section of the RSS Launcher you will be brought to the location where the link to the promotions Wizard Page can be found.
- First decide which type of promotion you would like to apply for and click save. There are 3 options: Clinical Academic Promotions, Senior Academic Promotions and Junior Academic Progressions. You need to Select Clinical Academic Promotions for this call.
- Then complete each section of the Promotions Wizard by clicking next until you arrive at the final section - Output MyRSS Promotions CV.
- Save the MyRSS Promotion CV file to your desktop or any other suitable location on your computer for review and completion. When you output the CV to Word you should then review the overall content of the application document, save it as a PDF.
- For queries about the MyRSS Promotions Wizard or the RSS please email RSSadmin@tcd.ie
Step 2 – Download and Complete External Referee Form
The next step is to download the External Assessor form that are available here or within the e-recruitment system and complete.
Each complete application to the Senior Academic Promotions Committee (Clinical Staff) shall include a list of four external referees submitted by the candidate who are experts in the candidate’s discipline, of which not more than one shall normally be based in Ireland.
External Reviewers should not be recent (within the past 7 years) collaborators, and should not be, or have been, co-authors with the candidate. They should not be, or have been, the applicant’s PhD supervisor, or vice versa (for more information on External Referees see section 8. External Referees, Review Procedures for Clinical Staff for Promotion to Clinical Professor, Clinical Associate Professor and Clinical Senior Lecturer Grades.)
Here is a link to the External Referee Nominees Form.
Step 3 – Use e-recruitment
E-Recruitment User Guide (pdf 1.6 mb)
The final part of the process for applying is via the e-recruitment system at https://jobs.tcd.ie.
The Clinical Staff Promotions Call will open on 6th February 2019. We recommend early application to avoid system difficulties near the closing date. You can register for e-recruitment in advance of the call.
Please ensure that all elements are completed before uploading and submitting, as once you have submitted your application cannot be changed in any way. Also please note the closing dates.
Please note that you must submit and receive a receipt email (please retain this for your records) to ensure that your application has been included in the promotion call. If you do not receive a confirmation email from e-Recruitment this means that your application has not been submitted. Please check that you have followed all the steps in the e-Recruitment process and if you require assistance with this stage of the process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone the Promotions Team, extension 4821 or 3937.
User clinics on the 3 step Clinical Staff Promotions Process
Dates for User Clinics on the 3-Step Clinical Staff Promotions Process will confirmed soon.
To book yourself into one of these tutorials please email us at Senpromo@tcd.ie or telephone Ronan on 4821 or Marta 3937.
Stages of the process
Stage 1 - Call for applications
- Call for applications opens - Promotion Advertisement Date – Promotion Round will open 6th February 2019 (please note individual closing dates for promotions)
- Use the “The New Online Process" to create your application and then fill in your external referees form.
- Submit your Application and External Referee Nominees Form to https://jobs.tcd.ie
- Applicants submit applications – NB - Closing Dates – No late applications accepted:
- Clinical Senior Lecturer – 12 noon, 15th May 2019
- Clinical Associate Professor – 12 noon, 15th May 2019
- Clinical Professor – 12 noon, 15th May 2019
- User Tutorials on the new online application process will be held
To book yourself in for one of these tutorials please email us at email@example.com or telephone Ronan on 4821 or Marta on 3937.
Stage 2 – Faculty of Health Sciences Review Committee (Clinical Track)
Review of Applications for Clinical Professor, Clinical Associate Professor, and Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Faculty of Health Sciences Review Committee (Clinical Track) assessment of applications:
- Faculty of Health Sciences Review Committee (Clinical Track) – (Date to be confirmed)
- Faculty of Health Sciences Review Committee (Clinical Track) – (Date to be confirmed)
- All candidates and their Heads of Schools will be notified on completion of the Faculty of Health Sciences Review Committee (Clinical Track) Stage.
- Feedback can be requested by unsuccessful candidates. The relevant Faculty Dean and the Faculty HR Partner shall meet with unsuccessful candidates requesting feedback, having provided written feedback as outlined in advance of that meeting. (For more information on feedback please see section 9. Feedback, Review Procedures for Clinical Staff for Promotion to Clinical Professor, Clinical Associate Professor and Clinical Senior Lecturer Grades.)
Stage 3 – Senior Academic Promotions Committee (Clinical Staff) Review
Review of Applications for Clinical Professor, Clinical Associate Professor, and Clinical Senior Lecturer following faculty review.
- Following receipt of External Assessors the Senior Academic Promotions Committee (Clinical Staff) review candidates who met the threshold scores following the faculty review
- All candidates and their Heads of Schools will be notified on completion of the Senior Academic Promotions Committee (Clinical Staff) Review Stage.
- Feedback can be requested by unsuccessful candidates. The Faculty Dean (or the Chair's nominee) and the Director of HR (or nominee) shall meet with unsuccessful candidates requesting feedback, having provided written feedback as outlined in advance of that meeting. (For more information on feedback please see section 9. Feedback, Review Procedures for Clinical Staff for Promotion to Clinical Professor, Clinical Associate Professor and Clinical Senior Lecturer Grades)
Stage 4 – Approval
Successful candidates, following Senior Academic Promotions Committee (Clinical Staff) review will recommended to University Council and Board.
Stage 5 – Implementation
Recommendations arising from this current promotions round will be implemented immediately following Council and Board.
Special (Additional) Circumstances
What is the Special (Additional) Circumstances form?
Special (Additional) circumstances (personal or professional) are considerations which the relevant Review Panels take into account at time of promotions. The process assesses an applicant's merit relative to their opportunity to accrue that merit. If you have Special Additional Circumstances please click on the relevant box on the 'MyRSS CV' or send a separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy of the Special (Additional) Circumstances form.
A range of personal circumstances may be considered that affected, interrupted or delayed the career path, performance or output of a staff member for a duration of time of their employment with Trinity College Dublin, which the staff member wishes the Review Panel to take into account.
Personal Circumstances considered
These personal circumstances include:
- Maternity Leave
- Adoptive Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Carer's Leave
- Parental Leave
- Compassionate Leave
- Health related matters
Other Special Circumstances that may be considered which are not be related to long-term leave but could impact on the career path of the staff member such as but not limited to an inability to travel abroad or inability to undertake field work due to disability or caring responsibilities for a family member or spouse, but could be a friend or colleague.
The Chair of the Senior Academic Promotions Committee (Clinical Staff) will review each application to determine whether a prima facie case exists to confirm special circumstances.
The information provided will be kept in accordance with the University's records management and data protection as outlined as per Trinity's Data Protection Policy and the University's Privacy Statement.
Please note: this form will only be considered for the review ticked at this time. A new application must be made for each new promotion review to be considered.
Information provided to review panels
This information will be disclosed only to those involved in the review process and will not be shared with any third party. The information provided is strictly confidential to key HR staff (Staff Performance and Review Team). The information provided will not be discussed with the relevant panel other than the Chair of the Committee. The HR staff member attending the reviews will not give any anecdotal knowledge or nature of the Special (Additional) circumstances. The HR Representative will only inform the review panels about the period of time, whether an individual has, or not, met the special additional circumstances (as outlined above) that may have interrupted the career path of the staff member.
HR will take note of the date and time of request from the staff member. This form must be completed and returned to the HR Staff Performance and Review Team prior to the closing date of application for promotion. If not received by this time, your application will not be considered.
Please return the completed form by e-mail to: email@example.com . By submitting your application electronically, you are declaring that the information you are providing is factually correct. Please note: the HR Staff Performance and Review Team will not enter any discussion verbally with an applicant. All correspondence will be by e-mail. Confirmation of receipt of your Special Circumstances Form will be sent to the e-mail address you entered on this form within 2 working days.
Senior Academic Promotions Committee (Clinical Staff) - Quorum of 8 (excluding Human Resources)
|Membership of the Senior Academic Promotions Committee (Clinical Staff)||Scoring Responsibility||Membership Term|
|1||Chair: Provost (or nominee)||
|2||Chair (external) of the Faculty Review Committee||
|3||Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences||yes||Ex officio|
|4-6||*Professors in the Faculty (Professors Of/In) x 3 members - reflecting a range of interdisciplinary interests||yes||3 years|
|7||External member x 1 – distinguished academic (or clinician)||yes||3 years|
|8||Member nominated by NFSA/ASA x 1||yes||3 years|
|9||Secretary: Director of HR (or nominee)||no||In attendance|
Faculty of Health Science Review Committees (Clinical Track) – Quorum of 6 (excluding Human Resources)
|Membership of the Faculty of Health Sciences Review Committee (Clinical Track)||Scoring Responsibility||Membership Term|
|1||Chair (external) - distinguished academic (or Clinician)||
|2||Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences||
|3-10||*Professors in the Faculty (Professor of/in) reflecting a range of disciplinary interests across the Schools x 2 to 8 members||yes||3 years|
|11||Member nominated by IFUT/ASA x 1||yes||3 years|
|12||Secretary: Director of HR (or nominee)||no||In attendance|
|13||In attendance: Faculty HR Partner||no||In attendance|
GDPR Statement for Clinical Staff Promotions
For the purposes of the Clinical Staff Promotions Call you will be required to complete an application form that includes a list of four external referees submitted by the candidate to Human Resources.
A list of four external referees will also be provided separately to Human Resources by the Faculty Dean, in consultation with the relevant Head of School. This information will be used to evaluate you for promotion.
To comply with GDPR we seek your consent to process your application. On filling in the online e-recruitment form you will be requested during the questionnaire section to give your consent by ticking yes. If you do not tick yes, then you will be unable to submit an application.
In processing your application for promotion, please note that the content of your application will be shared with the members of the Faculty of Health Sciences Review Committee (Clinical Track).
Should you be successful following the Faculty of Health Sciences Review Committee (Clinical Track) stage, your application will then be shared with the Senior Academic Promotions Committee (Clinical Staff) and external referees (EU and internationally).
Please note that should you wish to withdraw your consent for either of the above you can do so by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, however, this will render your application void.