Frequently Asked Questions
LinkedIn Learning - lil.tcd.ieLast Updated 06/09/2019
What is LinkedIn Learning?
LinkedIn Learning is the new name for Lynda.com, the e-learning platform that’s available as a benefit to Trinity staff and students.
Why is that change happening now?
When LinkedIn Learning purchased Lynda.com a few years ago they decided to phase out the Lynda.com brand and migrate everything over to LinkedIn Learning by a certain cut-off date. That cut-off date for Trinity is Tuesday August 27th, 2019.
When is it happening?
The changeover will take place on Tuesday August 27th and there is an anticipated downtime of two to 18 hours.
How do I access LinkedIn Learning?
Once the changeover is complete after August 27th, you can log on to lil.tcd.ie using your Trinity username and password, as you would have done before for Lynda.com.
Do I need to have a LinkedIn account to use LinkedIn Learning?
No you do not. You sign in via your organisation – in this case using your Trinity email and username.
What about my playlists currently in Lynda.com - will they migrate over following the change?
Yes any playlists you have created should migrate over. In the new platform they will be known as Personal Collections.
How do I login using a Laptop or Desktop?
Go to lil.tcd.ie and enter your Trinity username & password.
How do I login using the LinkedIn Learning app* for iOS & Android
- Open the LinkedIn Learning app and tap the Sign-in with my Organisation button.
- Enter tcd.ie in the field where it asks for Organisation’s Name or Domain.
- Tap Continue when you see the Trinity logo displayed
- Enter your Trinity username and password Or select your username from the list provided and enter your password.
- Tap Sign-in
*Download and install the LinkedIn learning app from the relevant app store
How is my data protected?
LinkedIn processes your personal data on behalf of Trinity for Trinity staff & students, in the following ways:
1. Trinity staff & students who logged into Lynda.com prior to 26th August 2019
For Trinity staff and students who used Lynda.com (predecessor service to LinkedIn Learning) their Lynda.com accounts have been migrated to LinkedIn Learning. LinkedIn only processes the data for the provision of LinkedIn Learning Services.
2. Trinity staff & students who log into LinkedIn Learning from 27th August 2019
Data will be processed only for Trinity users (Staff & Students) who login to LinkedIn Learning on release of this new service. Only on first login to lil.tcd.ie is an "account" for a Trinity staff member or a student created with LinkedIn Learning. LinkedIn only processes the data for the provision of LinkedIn Learning Services.
For both scenarios Trinity have released to Lynda.com (predecessor service to LinkedIn Learning) or LinkedIn the following items of information for each Trinity staff & student member who is migrated or who first logs into LinkedIn Learning:
- Email Address @tcd.ie
- Affiliation with Trinity – Staff or Student
- First Name
There is specifically no connection between LinkedIn Learning and LinkedIn.com for Trinity staff or student data.
You will find further information on data privacy in the LinkedIn Data Privacy Statement.
Anything else I should know?
Yes. In addition to looking a bit different, LinkedIn Learning uses slightly different language to refer to things, compared to Lynda.com. For example, Playlists will now be known as Collections.
Who do I contact if I'm having problems with my account?
You can log on to linkedin.com/help/learning.
I received an email from LinkedIn Learning telling me to activate my account, but the link contained within the email seems to be broken. What can I do?
You should still be able to access Trinity’s LinkedIn Learning with the following steps:
- Using your IE or Chrome internet browser on your PC or laptop please go to http://lil.tcd.ie
- Either pick your Trinity IT username from the list presented or enter your Trinity IT username.
- Enter your Trinity IT password and click on Sign-in.
- You may then be asked if you wish to choose to stay Signed in or not – click Yes or No.
- LinkedIn Learning will open.