Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Resourcing > Research PI > Employment Permits

Hosting Agreements

All non-EEA Research employees (Assistants and/or Fellows) must be issued with a Hosting Agreement in order to take up their employment with Trinity College Dublin.

Hosting Agreements are issued by the College and the IUA (Irish Universities Association) on behalf of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation and are only applicable for Research Staff (Assistants and/or Fellows).

Important points to note

  • A Hosting Agreement is only valid when issued with an employment contract and for work being carried out by the researcher physically in Ireland. Researchers working abroad will not be issued a Hosting Agreement for that time as it does not provide right to work in any other country.
  • The Researcher must have sufficient monthly resources to meet his or her expenses and return travel costs 'without recourse to the Member State's social assistance system'. The salary threshold for Hosting Agreement Holders having single status (Researchers without dependants) is currently €23,181 (Point 3, IUA salary scale). The minimum salary for researchers with dependants is €30,000 per annum.
  • The Hosting Agreement does not take the place of a visa or registration with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB). The College cannot assist in the securing of visas and, if necessary, a visa must be secured before travelling. Equally, researchers with a Hosting Agreement must register upon arrival and annually with their local GNIB office.
  • All Hosting Agreements issued will be given a unique identifier and registered through the Researchers Mobility Office of the IUA with the Office of Science Technology and Innovation, Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. This database will be accessible by immigration officers.
  • Upon early termination of the researchers' employment contract, they must return their Hosting Agreement to Human Resources. It is the responsibility of both the researcher and their PI to inform Human Resources of the early termination of the contract.
  • If a Hosting Agreement has been issued and it transpires that the researcher will no longer be taking up the position offered, it is the duty of the PI to inform Human Resources of the same to ensure the Hosting Agreement is cancelled.
  • Hosting Agreements can only be issued to researchers - Research Assistants and Research Fellows. We have been advised that they cannot be issued to non-research staff working on research projects or Academics whose principal role is as a lecturer.

New employees

Principal Investigators intending to employ a third country researcher must fill out a nomination form as previously. The nomination form should clearly indicate that the employee will need a Hosting Agreement, and email contact details for the employee and the PI.

The application form requires detailed information concerning the research project and the PI will be required to furnish this. The employee will also be required to complete aspects of the form and supply identification documentation and photographs.

Once all of the paperwork has been received, the Hosting Agreement and employment contract will be couriered to the employee to assist with securing a visa (if the researcher is from a visa-required country).

Please note: Although the Hosting Agreement process is considerably faster, due to tighter immigration controls, especially to visa-required nationals, sufficient notice must be given for both Hosting Agreement + Visa processes to be in place:

  • Non visa-required nationals: minimum 4 weeks' notice – from receipt of paperwork by HR to proposed start date (shorter notice may apply if the candidate is already in Ireland)
  • Visa-required nationals: at least 8 – 10 weeks' notice – from receipt of paperwork by HR to proposed start date (shorter notice may apply if the candidate is already in Ireland)


The Hosting Agreement allows the researcher to be immediately accompanied by spouse/dependant/children (provided all Visas, when required, are granted).

After 2 years under a Hosting Agreement, the employee acquires the right to apply for long term residency with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS). In this case, Hosting Agreements do not need to be renewed and their employment will not need to be linked to Trinity College.


Hosting Agreements are free to apply, however, the researcher (and some dependants) will need to pay €300 each to register with the GNIB. This cost is not covered by the College.


If an employee is from a visa-required country, this is still a requirement even if they do not need a work permit. They should obtain a visa before travelling to Ireland. The recruitment team cannot assist in the obtaining of visas – however, we have produced a document which details the guidelines and requirements of the visa process.

Further Information

If you have any further queries please contact or the HR Service Centre at 01 896 3333.