Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Resourcing > Hiring Area > Employment Permits

Employment Permits

All non-EEA employees must hold an appropriate Employment Permit in order to take up their employment with Trinity College Dublin.

Employment Permits (with exception of the Hosting Agreement) are issued by the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation (DBEI).

  • General Employment Permits. As of the 1st October 2014 the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation introduced the Employment Permits (Amendment) Bill 2014. General Employment Permits are the primary vehicle used by the State to attract 3rd country nationals for occupations which are experiencing a labour or skills shortage. A full comprehensive list of the new regulations and employment permit information can be found here.
  • Critical Skills Permits  are available for occupations with a minimum annual remuneration of €32,000 for a restricted number of strategically important occupations contained in the Highly Skilled Eligible Occupations List. A relevant degree qualification or higher is required.

Critical Skills Employment Permits may also be granted to occupations with a minimum annual remuneration of over €64,000, other than those on the Ineligible List of Occupations or which are contrary to the public interest. A non-EEA national who does not have a degree qualification or higher, must have the necessary level of experience.

In addition, a job offer of at least 2 years must be secured by the prospective employee in respect of the Highly Skilled Eligible Occupations List from the prospective employer.

There is no need for a Labour Market Needs Test and allows for spouse and children to relocate immediately.

A Critical Skills Permit is not renewable and after 2 years under such permit, the staff member must apply for long-term residency with the Department of Justice and Equality to maintain their eligibility to live and work in Ireland.

  • Dependant/Partner/Spouse Employment Permits (DPSEP) allow the spouses and dependants of certain categories of Employment Permit holders to apply for a work permit without the need for a Labour Market Needs Test. This Permit is free of charge to apply and can be applied for by either prospective employee or employer.
    All jobs are eligible for a DPSEP, except that of domestic operative.

Please note: the duration of the DPSEP will be linked to the duration of the main Employment Permit holder’s permit, even if the job offer is of a longer duration.

  • Hosting Agreements: Issued by Human Resources on behalf of the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation in conjunction with the Euraxess (IUA) and are only applicable for Research Staff (Assistants and/or Fellows).

Employment Permit Renewals

HR will endeavour to contact all employees who need their Work Permits renewed up to 12 weeks in advance of its expiry date. If you haven't heard from us, we encourage you to make contact as soon as possible.


Trinity College Dublin is exempt from paying fees when applying for an Employment Permit however, generally the following fees apply.

General Employment Permit and Critical Skills Permit

  • New application (6 months) €500 (not applicable to Critical Skills EP)
  • New Application (6 months – 2 years) €1,000
  • Renewal from € 750 to €1,500 (depending on length of renewal)

Dependant/Partner/Spouse Employment Permit

  • Free


If an employee is from a visa-required country, this is still a requirement even if they do not need an Employment Permit or Hosting Agreement. They should obtain a visa before travelling to Ireland. The recruitment team cannot assist in the obtaining of visas.

New Applications

New Employment Permits are sent directly to the employer, unless otherwise requested, and Trinity then courier the permit to the employee. It is crucial that the employee specify an address that is secure for receiving their permit.

The University also receives a certified copy of the Permit and this cannot be used for travelling purposes.

Further Information

If you have any further queries please contact or the HR Service Centre at 01 896 3333.