BUU44670 Audit and Assurance
Phone: 087 785 9286
Email: To be provided by Trinity
Office Hours: I am happy to meet students at alternative times should you have any issues, so feel free to email me for an appointment which I can facilitate via Zoom or Google Meets.
BUU22530 - Introduction to Accounting
BUU33531 - Financial Accounting I
BUU33532 - Financial Accounting II
Analysis of modern auditing theory and practice, focusing on the application of key auditing procedures and enabling students to appreciate the function, role and reporting requirements of an auditor in providing assurance to users of financial statements.
Learning and Teaching Approach:
Lectures that explain theoretical facts along with the use of International Standards of Auditing. Case studies will be used extensively to illustrate the application of theory.
On successful completion of this module, students should:
- Have an understanding of the audit function and be able to illustrate specific knowledge of key international auditing standards, as used in auditing practice worldwide.
- Demonstrate comprehension of the role, responsibility and duty of the auditor as well as the purpose, benefits and limitations of auditing.
- Assess the importance of ethics in auditing and the independence of the auditor.
- Outline the main steps in the audit process, understand the key pre-audit and planning activities.
- Evaluate and assess audit risk and its constituent components.
- Evaluate control procedures in an internal control system and understand substantive audit procedures performed across key business processes.
- Understand principles underpinning Audit Reporting.
Textbook and Readings:
Required core course textbook: All required material will be uploaded to Blackboard.
General Supplemental Readings: Additional technical auditing articles will also be uploaded to Blackboard.
- End of Semester One Examination (70%) will be 2 hours in duration
- The (30%) assignment will be posted on Blackboard and done at home by students.
Reassessment will be 100% exam in the Reassessment period.