BUU44552 Digital Marketing
BUU33700 - Contemporary Marketing Management
BUU33710 - Consumer Behaviour
The module aims to empower future marketers with a fundamental understanding of digital marketing tools and techniques and help them to become proficient in digital marketing practice. Practical assignment will include the development of a digital marketing plan for a hypothetical company by formulating a digital marketing strategy, including the planning of campaigns which may include Google Search Marketing, Google Display Ads, Social Media Marketing, Search Engine Optimization, Content and UX recommendations on an organisations website.
Learning and Teaching Approach:
The module will be delivered in a series of eleven 2 hour lectures over the term and eleven 1 hour tutorials. The sessions will be either online, hybrid or face-to-face depending on current guidelines and policy at the time of delivery. Most materials will also be available online and/or recorded for review and for those not physically attending campus.
Topics to be covered:
- Introduction to Digital Marketing
- The Digital Marketer’s Toolbox & Website Audits
- Digital Marketing Strategy & Campaign Planning
- Introduction to Google Search Advertising
- Introduction to Google Display Advertising
- Introduction to Search Engine Optimisation and Wordpress
- Introduction to Google Analytics
- Consumer Psychology, Landing Pages & User Experience
- Introduction to Social Media Marketing
- Social Media Advertising on Facebook & Instagram
- Optimising Digital Marketing Campaigns
Having successfully completed this module, the student should be able to:
- Undertake digital research and audits of a website to assess adherence to best practice requirements for digital marketing
- Become proficient is the use of digital marketing techniques including search engine advertising, search engine optimisation and social media marketing / advertising
- Develop and plan a digital marketing campaign using a broad spectrum of digital marketing techniques
- Measure the effectiveness of digital marketing campaigns using web analytics tools
- Report findings to stakeholders in an appropriate business report format.
Recommended Texts/Key Reading:
No required core course textbook
General Supplementary Readings:
- Digital Marketing Strategy 2e, Kingsworth
- Direct, Digital and Data Driven Marketing 5e, Spiller
- Understanding Digital Marketing, 5th Ed., Ryan
- Marketing, 5e Baines
- Digital Marketing: Strategy, Implementation and Practice, Chaffey
Assessment and Examination:
1. Google Certifications (20%)
Take and pass two google online certifications.
Student’s must screenshot their score and provide the certification to avail of the marks.
You must take the following:
Fundamentals of Digital Marketing + Certification
and one other of the following:
Google Ads Search Certification
Google Ads Display Certification
Google Ads Measurement Certification
Google Analytics Individual Qualification
2. Blog Article (30%)
Write, optimise and publish a blog article on Wordpress
You will be required to write a 500-word blog article and publish the article on a Wordpress website (provided by the lecturer). You will be require to source appropriate open source creative commons imagery and to SEO optimise the post using techniques discussed in the class. Marks will be awarded for the content, style and readability of the article as well as how the student has optimised the post for SEO and User Experience readiness.
3. Digital Marketing Plan (50%)
Develop and plan a digital marketing campaign for a company
Students will be placed into teams. Each group will be assigned a hypothetical case study or SME (depending on COVID-19 situation) and will have to develop a digital marketing strategy / campaign for the company. This will include research and audit of the website, development of a strategy and the planning of campaigns in Google AdWords, Social Media and SEO strategy.
Repeat Assessment (100%): Students required by faculty to undertake repeat assessments will be required to complete an individual assignment which will be a 3,000 word viewpoint article on an emerging trend in digital marketing.