BUU22530: Introduction to Accounting
Office hours: Wednesday 11am – 1pm (Please email to make an appointment)
BUU11510 - Fundamentals of Management & Organisation
This module deals with the construction and interpretation of five key financial statements. The initial focus will be on three of these statements – the Statement of Financial Position, the Income Statement, and the Cash Flow Statement. Later in the module, the two remaining statements, which have been introduced relatively recently, will be considered. These are the Statement of Comprehensive Income and the Statement of Changes in Equity. Throughout the module, underlying theoretical concepts related to matching, income measurement and asset valuation will be explored in detail and the principles of sound financial management will be developed as the course proceeds. Emphasis on double entry book-keeping will be minimized as far as possible.
The overall goal of the course is that students obtain a sound understanding of 'money in organisations' and – more specifically – learn how to analyse and judge (a) whether organisations are performing well and are financially healthy or (b) whether there are weaknesses in their financial performance / financial structure.
- Explain and discuss the fundamental concepts underlying the construction of the key financial statements;
- Prepare a set of basic accounts (the 3 key financial statements) for a commercial enterprise;
- Evaluate the financial performance, position and cash flow of an enterprise [based on published financial statements of Public Limited Companies (plcs)];
- Recommend appropriate policies and strategies for funding and managing an enterprise's resource base, (re)investment requirements and funding needs.
Recommended Texts/Key Reading:
Required core course textbook:
- Financial Accounting for Decision Makers 10th edition (7th, 8th, 9th Editions) - Authors: Atrill, Peter & McLaney, Eddie - Publisher: Pearson Education -
- All editions available in the library
- General Supplemental Readings - See lecture slides for supplemental readings
There are three forms of assessment for this module.
Continuous Assessment a. Online MCQ tests | 15% of Total Grade | (each test is worth 5%). Each question is worth 5 marks (Negative marking = -1)
i. Week 3: Friday 30th September: Topics 1 & 2 – 10 MCQs.
ii. Week 6: Friday 21st October: Topic 2 & 3 – 10 MCQs
iii. Week 8: Friday 4th November: Topic 4a & 4b – 10 MCQs
Online assignment | Interpretation of Accounts of PLC Company | 15%
i. The online assignment equates to 15% of the students overall grade.
ii. Assessment date: Friday 25th November. (Week 11).
iii. Topics 5 & 6: Ratio Analysis
Final assessment | Preparation of accounts and 10MCQs | 70%.
i. 1.5 hour exam during exam week.
ii. The final assessment equates to 65% of the students overall grade.