Travel Pass and Bike to Work
Travel Pass and Bike to Work Schemes are now open monthly for Staff to submit their applications. The closing date for submitting applications is the 10th of each month for Travel Pass / Bike to Work Voucher to be valid from the 1st of the following month. Any application that is submitted after the 10th will be included in the month after.
Trinity College have partnered with Travelhub to offer you an easy online service to help you to take advantage of these fantastic benefit schemes. Through the schemes you can get a bike or an annual travel ticket which Trinity College will buy for you. The cost will then be deducted from your gross salary over an agreed repayment term. As a result you can save up to 51% of the total price depending on your tax rate which is reflected in your tax deductions.
Tickets purchased will be valid for a period of 12 months. Once you have submitted a Travel Pass application through TravelHub, you will be notified next year when your ticket is about to expire and is up for renewal.
In order to proceed with an online application, you must have your University email address and staff number. In the event that you have never activated or have forgotten your University email address or network login password, you must contact IT Services Helpdesk with your Staff ID to have your network login details re-issued.
For further particulars and to make an online application, please go to trinitycollege.travelhub.ie.
Click on your preferred mode of transport and follow the instructions.
- Multi-operator tickets can be found in either of the operator ticket lists. For example, a 'Dublin Bus and Luas Annual ticket' can be found under Dublin Bus or Luas.
- Staff who ordered a Travel pass ticket before 18 September 2019 should register in the new site for renewing their ticket.
- If you have previously registered on trinitycollege.travelhub.ie for Bike to Work or Travel Pass, using your TCD email address and 8 digit Staff ID number, then your account will automatically migrate across to the new Travelhub account and you can login immediately.
- If you registered previously using a personal email address and/or an incorrect Staff ID number, you will need to register a new account on the new microsite.
- All applicants will be required to confirm they have read and agree to the terms and conditions of the scheme which are available during the application process.
- If this is your first application with TravelHub, you will receive a new Leap card with your ticket order. Any orders from your subsequent applications will be loaded onto this card electronically.
- Travel Pass will be sent to your home address until there are arrangements in place to collect from HR Service Centre.
- Once purchased, the staff member is liable for the full cost of the travel pass and no changes, transfers, partial refunds or cancellation will be available under any circumstance. (Some exceptions may apply during the Covid-19 Restriction period. Please see below for cancellation process.)
- Bike to Work Scheme can be availed of every 4 years as per Revenue guidelines. The tax year in which the bicycle is provided counts as the first year. For example, if you used the scheme during any month in 2020, you can use the scheme again from 1 January 2024. The Government has also increased the limits eligible for the Bike to Work Scheme from €1,000 to €1,250 for regular bikes and €1,500 for electric bikes.
Travel Pass Cancellation / Refund Process
NTA along with the transport operators and other stakeholders are now working on a process for holders of TaxSaver tickets who have been unable to avail of public transport services as a result of restrictions being put in place in response to the Covid-19 crisis. We will confirm details as soon as we have an update. Please retain your ticket(s) pending confirmation of details of the scheme.
Please refer to the link below for detailed information on Cancellation, Refund and Administration charges:
Cancellation & Refunds
For Travel Pass Holders from July 2019 scheme, we will update you when we receive updates from NTA on the options that may be available to you.
As your Pass is expiring on 30th June 2020 and if you need to renew please submit your application through TravelHub as explained above. If you submit by 10th July 2020, you will receive your Pass valid from 1st August 2020. Any special arrangements that may be put in place by NTA for the Covid-19 restriction period will be adjusted appropriately on your renewed Pass at the time.
- Cancellation requests should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Travel Pass Payroll deductions for Staff will be cancelled when we receive Credit Notes from Travelhub that are sent to them directly by the Operator. This is necessary for us to confirm the amount to be refunded to Staff. Please note that any administration fees charged by the Operator will be taken out of the refund amount due to Staff.
- It currently takes 6 – 8 weeks for cancellation to be processed by Operators.
- There may be a better solution than requesting a refund. If we process a refund then we will not be able to undo this if the Operator puts in place a better solution which is yet to be confirmed by NTA.
Terms & Conditions
- The staff member must be employed by Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin on a full-time, part-time, term-time or fixed-term contract at the closing date of the Travel Pass Scheme.
- Trinity will purchase the annual ticket on behalf of the staff member. All participants are required to authorise payments to be deducted from gross salary on a fortnightly/monthly basis over a 12-month period or in equal instalments over the remainder of their contract as at the date of application. Deductions commence during the month the ticket is valid from. If the staff member is a term worker, repayments will be deducted over the amount of weeks they are rostered to work.
- Once purchased, the staff member is liable for the full cost of the travel pass and no changes, transfers, partial refunds or cancellation will be available under any circumstance.
- If the staff member leaves during the year, any balance due to the College will be deducted from their final salary. Please note that there is no Travel pass cancellation facility available at this time.
- Where the final net salary is insufficient to repay the balance due, then the staff member must repay the shortfall by cheque prior to departure. Alternative arrangements may be entered into at the discretion of Human Resources. Please note: once your final payment has been processed, the tax benefit cannot be availed of, i.e. the staff member cannot avail of the tax benefit on the outstanding balance.
- If the staff member takes unpaid leave during the year, any balance due to the University will be deducted from their final salary. Where the final net salary is insufficient to repay the balance due, then the staff member must repay the shortfall by cheque/bank draft prior to departure.
- A new online application is required for renewals. It is the responsibility of the staff member to keep their profile updated of any change in details or circumstances.
- It is mandatory to register your travel card with www.leapcard.ie as the travel provider will only process the replacement on line in the event of a Lost or Stolen Card. To request a replacement for a lost/stolen TaxSaver TFI Leap Card just login to your Account, select the 'Refund or Replace' option and follow the instructions to get a replacement.