School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Head of School: Dr. Fintan Sheerin
- Director of Teaching & Learning (Postgraduate): Prof. Mary Hughes
- Telephone:+353-1-896 2579
- Fax:+353-1-896 3001
- Email:email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- How to apply: Please see links below
The School of Nursing and Midwifery was established in 1996 at a time of great change in nursing education in Ireland. Subsequently a rapid expansion followed to a point where postgraduate programmes are offered catering for many branches of nursing and midwifery as well as other Healthcare professions. The School has a definite research profile and has formed many national and international links.
The School has a growing record of attracting research funding in various health care areas. Research interest groups are working in collaboration with international experts in the areas of Maternal, Child and Family Health, Healthy Ageing and Intellectual Disabilities, Mental Health and Recovery, Healthcare Innovation and Integration. This work has created opportunities for full-time research posts.
Our Ph. D. programme follows a structured model. Students are required to participate in taught modules and obtain between 10 and 30 ECTS in doing so during the lifespan of their PhD research. At least a quarter of those credits will be fulfilled by the Research Integrity in an Open Scholarship Era module, which all Ph.D. students must complete. A foundation module entitled Research Methods for Health Care (10 ECTS) is available to all students. This is delivered through the monthly Research Support and Education Seminars and is provided to assist students in their development and to facilitate networking with other students and staff.
There are opportunities to study for a Ph.D. full-time taking approximately 4 years or part-time over a period of 6 years. Students can commence their programme of study from September or March in each academic year.
The School offers a number of research student bursaries each year and interested students should contact the Director of Research in the School.
In exceptional circumstances it may be possible to register retrospectively. Applicants wishing to be considered for retrospective admission should contact the Graduate Studies Office by emailing email@example.com
March 2023 Entry
- Master in Science, Nursing and Midwifery (Part-Time) - 3 Years - Part-Time31/MAR/2023
- Master in Science, Nursing and Midwifery (Full-Time) - 2 Years - Full-Time31/MAR/2023
- Doctor in Philosophy, Nursing and Midwifery (Part-Time) - 6 Years - Part-Time31/MAR/2023
- Doctor in Philosophy, Nursing and Midwifery (Full-Time) - 4 Years - Full-Time31/MAR/2023