Applying for a Postgraduate Course

Whether you are applying for a taught or research course you must apply for your postgraduate course using course finder. By clicking on the specific course you wish to apply for you will be directed to an application form where you will create or log in to your user account with University of Dublin, Trinity College Dublin and submit your application and supporting documents online. In some cases there may be a requirement to complete a supplementary application form. This form may consist of additional questions or documents and once complete should be uploaded.

Your application is tailored for the course you choose to apply for and it is sensitive to the answers you provide as you proceed through the application.

Once you have submitted an online application you will be sent an acknowledgement email to the email address you provided when setting up your user account on applicant portal.. The applicant portal will allow you to send and receive communications in respect of your application to Trinity College Dublin. You will be able to track the progress of your application at every stage of the admissions process; update your personal information, view decisions made on your application(s) and accept any offers you may receive.

Before making an application please read the following carefully:

1. Choose your course using course finder.

2. Consider whether you meet the entry requirements:

3. Check the specific course entry requirements, which can be found on individual course listings in our course finder.

4. Contact the academic department if you need any advice about a particular course for example, if you need advice on which specific course to apply for. Contact details can be found on the course page within course finder.

5. Consider the supporting documents you might need to upload as part of your application.

If you are not able to apply online, please contact:

Academic Registry
Phone: +353 (0)1 8964500

Supporting documents

When you apply for a postgraduate course via course finder, you will have the option to upload your supporting documents. The following information be required before a decision can be made on your application:

  • Two academic references (or where appropriate clinical referees)
  • Academic transcript(s) which must be certified by the issuing body:
    Please note that graduates of the University of Dublin, Trinity College Dublin do not need to provide academic transcripts or copies of award parchments.
  • Certified copy of degree certificate(s)
    Please note that graduates of the University of Dublin, Trinity College Dublin do not need to provide certified copies of degree certificates
  • A recognised certificate of English Language Competency if English is not your first language . (See International Student Entry Requirements).
  • You may also be required to submit further documents e.g. a sample of work in support of your application/ additional test results such as GMAT etc If this is necessary for a decision to be made on your application, the document will become a mandatory part of your application.

Non standard application routes

Applications for the following postgraduate courses should be made through the appropriate channel:

  • For the Master in Business Administration (M.B.A.), applications must be made online at M.B.A. Application
  • For the Higher Diploma in Education (Primary) applications must be made to the Colleges of Education directly. Further information on this course and information on how to apply can be found on course finder 


The online application fee for direct applications to the University of Dublin, Trinity College Dublin is €55 per application. This payment must be made online following the instructions on the application form. The online application processing fee is non-refundable. The application will not be submitted to Trinity College Dublin until the application fee is paid in full.

Applying for Research Studentship Awards

New entrants to the Research Register wishing to apply for Postgraduate Research Studentships or Ussher Awards must apply for these Awards during the online application process.

Due to changes in regulations in 2009 continuing students may now apply for the Postgraduate Studentship Award. These students should contact their School directly.