Trinity College Dublin is an Engineers Ireland Registered Training Provider. This course is CPD Approved by Engineers Ireland.
Organisations want to be able to manage risk in a coherent, comprehensive, and effective manner. Excellence in operational risk management goes beyond meeting regulatory compliance and reacting to specific incidents; it implies being able to muster the evidence to support the transformation of system performance to meet strategic goals in a proactive way.
This fully online six-week course will give you an overview of how to develop systemic risk management in organisations such as healthcare, transport, aviation, finance, pharmaceutical, defence forces, emergency services and more. It will use real business examples to demonstrate practical methods to analyse and manage sources of risk, enabling a proactive, effective, and strategic capability.
This approach both enhances the individual practitioner’s capability and benefits their organisation. Participants will be able to take the skills and knowledge gained on the course to start identifying and making changes in their own workplace.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Develop a systems understanding of operations and risk, particularly in relation to complex operational problems.
- Understand monitoring and measurement in safety management, safety assurance and managing safety performance.
- Recognise the role of data and data analytics in generating evidence.
- Understand and support processes of improvement and change.
- Develop a joined-up strategic risk management capability.
Who is this Course For?
The course will be of interest to those who have experience of managing safety, risk, change, or are responsible for operational performance, in any industry or service that carries operational risk, and who want to explore how to move to a new level of systemic risk management.
Who Teaches the Course?
Course Coordinator: Assistant Professor Siobhán Corrigan.
- Dr. Nick McDonald, Emeritus Fellow, TCD
- Professor Pernilla Ulfvengren, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm
- Dr. Daniele Baranzini, AI Services, Deepblue, Rome
- Mr. Brian Doyle, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Former Paramedic / firefighter with Dublin Fire Brigade
- Prof. Marie Ward PhD - Health Systems Research and Learning Facilitator, Quality and Safety Improvement Directorate - St. James's Hospital
Time, Date, and Place
This is a fully online six-week course divided into six live webinar sessions. Each session will comprise several offline learning elements, such as watching introduction videos or preparing some questions for discussion, complemented with a 1.5-hour live webinar from 5:30pm-7pm on Wednesdays. The webinar and study material will be accessed via our student learning platform, Blackboard. Study materials include:
- Recorded sessions for home study.
- Interactive tutorial sessions with experts and practitioners.
- Panel discussion with academic and industry professionals.
- Access to ARK risk management platform to explore key methodologies.
The course will run on Wednesdays on the following dates in 2024, February 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th, March 6th, 13th (2024).
For the best online experience, we recommend using Chrome as your default browser, along with a USB (or other) headset with built in microphone.
On successful completion of the programme, participants will be provided with a Certificate of Completion.
CPD programme in Systemic Risk Management at Trinity
Professor Nick McDonald, School of Psychology, gives an overview of the Systemic Risk Management short course at Trinity College Dublin.
You can enroll on the course directly via the PayPal link below. The course fee includes access to the course materials via Blackboard (Trinity’s virtual learning environment) for the duration of the course. Participation in this CPD course does not include access to the Trinity Library or any other student services (including a student identity card).
Get in Touch
Register Your Interest
Register your interest at Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin.
As Ireland’s leading university, we offer a wide range of postgraduate programmes at masters, diploma and certificate level.
Trinity is an international university steeped in history, with a reputation for excellence in education, research and innovation.
The systemic risk management course was fascinating – bringing together the well-established risk management principles and introducing new ideas and frameworks. I recommend this course for those who want to have a big picture view of risk management across a whole system - Jennifer Martin, HSE