Is Science the course for you?
Science at Trinity is offered through four different entry routes/streams leading to an honours degree following four years of study. We offer students opportunities to choose from four entry paths/streams: Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Chemical Sciences; Geography and Geoscience; Physical Sciences. These four entry routes lead to one of 20 exit routes. The programme will offer students a detailed knowledge and thorough understanding of the scientific method. Students will learn scientific skills while developing an understanding of the role and Influence of science on society
What is Science?
Science is about knowledge: the generation of knowledge through research and its acquisition through learning. Scientific investigation allows us to understand the world around us: how the physical world has evolved and changed since the Big Bang and how life has advanced into complex, diverse forms. The application of scientific knowledge has led to world changing developments such as modern medicine, the mobile phone and efficient methods of energy production. As we acquire new knowledge, our understanding of the world changes which in turn leads to new and better applications. There is still much to discover and new applications to be developed. Do you want to contribute?
Science at Trinity
Science at Trinity The advantages of studying science in Trinity:
- Outstanding teaching by scientists and mathematicians who are at the forefront of their fields worldwide
- Coherent, progressive programmes in four broad streams › Wide range of specialist moderatorship subjects
- Broad choice of additional, approved and elective modules
- All students complete a Capstone research project
- Small classes in third and fourth year
- Opportunities to study abroad before and after graduation
- Rigorous education and training in chosen field
- Excellent career prospects in Ireland and abroad
- Trinity is recognised internationally as one of the top research universities in Europe
- Research-led teaching by world leaders in their fields of study
- Have a natural curiosity about the world around you?
- Want to experience the excitement of scientific discovery?
- Want the scientific knowledge that allows you to contribute to solving some of the problems facing mankind today?
Graduate Skills and Career Opportunities
Science Graduates develop a wide range of skills, some of which include:
- A working understanding of the scientific method and how scientific knowledge is acquired
- A broad understanding of the basic scientific disciplines
- A capability for critical thinking and evaluation of current and novel concepts and ideas
- A detailed knowledge of the specialist area of study, its core principles and an awareness of its knowledge boundaries
- Creativity, with an ability to formulate novel concepts and ideas
- The ability to collect qualitative and quantitative data with precision and organisation
- The numeracy to analyse and critically evaluate data using appropriate mathematical, statistical, computational and other relevant methods
- Ability to work both individually and within a team
- Capability to manage a project, set and achieve objectives and manage resources.
- Capability to communicate knowledge, concepts and ideas to scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- An understanding of the role and influence of scientific knowledge on society.
Career opportunities: What can I do with a science degree?
Many Trinity Science and Mathematical graduates pursue graduate courses or research leading to an M.Sc. or PhD Trinity Science and Mathematics graduates pursue a wide variety of careers in a diversity of areas – for example:
- Universities and research institutes
- Chemical and pharmaceutical industries Science
- Electronics, computer and IT industries
- Agricultural and food industries
- Hospital and medical services
- Science administration, communication and journalism
- Law, business, financial services
Your degree and what you’ll study
Trinity Science is split into four different entry routes:
TR060 – Biological and Biomedical Sciences
(Degree options for TR060: Biochemistry, Botany, Environmental Sciences, Genetics, Human Genetics, Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Medicine, Neurosciences, Physiology, Zoology)
TR061 – Chemical Sciences
(Degree options for TR061: Chemistry, Chemistry with Biosciences, Chemistry with Molecular Modelling, Medicinal Chemistry, Nanoscience)
TR062 – Geography and geoscience
(Degree options: Geography; Geoscience)
TR063 – Physical sciences
(Degree options: Physics; Physics and Astrophysics; Nanoscience)
Click Here for further information on modules/subject.
Study Science at Trinity College Dublin
This is a presentation by Prof. Áine Kelly giving an overview of the science degrees offered by Trinity, each of which is focussed on a different aspect of science: TR060 Biological and Biomedical Sciences, TR061 Chemical Sciences, TR062 Geography and Geoscience and TR063 Physical Sciences.
AwardsB.A. (Moderatorship) Honours Bachelor Degree (NFQ Level 8)
H6 or O4: Mathematics
H4: In two of physics, chemistry, biology, physics/chemistry, geology, geography, applied mathematics, agricultural science, computer science.
Grade B/6 Mathematics
Advanced GCE (A Level)
Grade C In two of physics, chemistry, biology, physics/chemistry, geology, geography, applied mathematics, agricultural science, computer science.
SL Grade 5 Mathematics
HL Grade 5 In two of physics, chemistry, biology, physics/chemistry, geology, geography, applied mathematics, agricultural science, computer science.
Combinations of subjects not permitted: Physics/chemistry with physics or chemistry. Agricultural science with biology. Applied mathematics with mathematics
Click here for a full list of undergraduate fees.