B.A. (Moderatorship) Honors Bachelor Degree (NFQ Level 8) ; 4 years full-time
What is Science?
Science is about knowledge: the generation of knowledge through research and its acquisition through learning. Scientific investigation allows us to understand the world around us: how the physical world has evolved and changed since the Big Bang and how life has advanced into the complex, diverse forms. The application of scientific knowledge has led to world changing developments such as modern medicine, the mobile phone and efficient methods of energy production. As we acquire new knowledge, our understanding of the world changes which in turn leads to new and better applications. There is still much to discover and new applications to be developed. Do you want to contribute?
Is Science the course for you?
Science at Trinity is offered through four different entry routes/streams leading to an honors degree following four years of study. We have reimagined our science programme and offer students the opportunities to choose from four entry paths/streams: Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Chemical Sciences; Geography and Geoscience; Physical Sciences. Four entry routes leading to one of 20 exit routes. The programme will offer students a detailed knowledge and thorough understanding of the scientific method. Students will learn scientific skills while developing an understanding of the role and Influence of science on society.
Science at Trinity
The advantages of studying science in Trinity:
- Outstanding teaching by scientists and mathematicians who are at the forefront of their fields worldwide
- Coherent, progressive programmes in four broad streams
- Wide range of specialist moderatorship subjects
- Broad choice of additional, approved and elective modules
- All students complete a Capstone research project
- Small classes in third and fourth year
- Opportunities to study abroad before and after graduation
- Rigorous education and training in chosen field
- Excellent career prospects in Ireland and abroad
- Trinity is recognised internationally as one of the top research universities in Europe
- Research-led teaching by world leaders in their fields of study
Graduate Skills and Career Opportunities
Science Graduates develop a wide range of skills, some of which include:
- A working understanding of the scientific method and how scientific knowledge is acquired
- A broad understanding of the basic scientific disciplines
- A capability for critical thinking and evaluation of current and novel concepts and ideas
- A detailed knowledge of the specialist area of study, its core principles and an awareness of its knowledge boundaries
- Creativity, with an ability to formulate novel concepts and ideas
- The ability to collect qualitative and quantitative data with precision and organisation
- The numeracy to analyse and critically evaluate data using appropriate mathematical, statistical, computational and other relevant methods
- Ability to work both individually and within a team
- Capability to manage a project, set and achieve objectives and manage resources.
- Capability to communicate knowledge, concepts and ideas to scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- An understanding of the role and influence of scientific knowledge on society.
- Have a natural curiosity about the world around you?
- Want to experience the excitement of scientific discovery?
- Want the scientific knowledge that allows you to contribute to solving some of the problems facing mankind today?
Career opportunities: What can I do with a science degree?
Many Trinity Science and Mathematical graduates pursue graduate courses or research leading to an M.Sc. or PhD Trinity Science and Mathematics graduates pursue a wide variety of careers in a diversity of areas – for example:
- Universities and research institutes
- Chemical and pharmaceutical industries Science
- Electronics, computer and IT industries
- Agricultural and food industries
- Hospital and medical services
- Science administration, communication and journalism
- Law, business, financial services
Your degree and what you’ll study
Trinity Science is split into four different entry routes:
TR060 – Biological and Biomedical Sciences
(Degree options: Biochemistry, Botany, Environmental Sciences, Genetics, Human Genetics, Immunology, Microbiology, Molecular Medicine, Neurosciences, Physiology, Zoology)
TR061 – Chemical Sciences
(Degree options: Chemistry, Chemistry with Biosciences, Chemistry with Molecular Modelling, Medicinal Chemistry, Nanoscience)
TR062 – Geography and geoscience
(Degree options: Geography; Geoscience)
TR063 – Physical sciences
(Degree options: Physics; Physics and Astrophysics; Nanoscience)
For further details and to see what our current students say, check out our website: www.tcd.ie/science/prospective
B.A. (Moderatorship) Honors Bachelor Degree (NFQ Level 8)
4 years full-time
For general admission requirements please click here
Leaving Certificate H6 or O4 Mathematics
H4 in two of: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Physics/Chemistry, Geology, Geography, Applied Mathematics or Agricultural Science
Advanced GCE (A-Level) Grade B Mathematics
Grade C In two of Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Geology, Geography or Further Mathematics