Applications are accepted via Trinity College webpage or Al-Maktoum College Dundee webpage https://www.almcollege.ac.uk/programmes/mphil-in-the-middle-east-in-a-global-context/
Data sharing – information provided in the application may be shared with the Al-Maktoum College of Higher Education, Dundee.
The M.Phil. in Middle East in a Global Context is an online course in the study of the Middle East, its histories, cultures, politics, and language.
• You will acquire cultural fluency and critical understanding vis-à-vis the cultures, societies and peoples of the Middle East and North Africa, analyse minority groups and identities in the region, and examine Islam and its cultures wherever they are to be found across the globe.
• You will study the wider socio-economic-cultural sphere of the Middle East, in terms of both current and future directions.
• You will study Middle Eastern history from antiquity to the present, Arab intellectual history, and history of Western interventions in the region, especially from the 19th Century onwards.
• You will explore key societal challenges in the regions, analyse current issues affecting the Middle East and North Africa in a historical perspective and study the role of Western representation of the region.
The Master’s programme (90 ECTS) can be studied as full-time over 1 year (90 ECTS) or part-time over 2 - 3 years (30-60 ECTS per year). We also offer the option of a Postgraduate Certificate (30 ECTS, 1 year part- time) and Postgraduate Diploma (60 ECTS, 1 year full- time or 2 years part- time).
• Postgraduate Certificate (30 ECTS total) - students complete three core modules to develop a basic understanding of and fluency with the methods and contexts of the field of Middle Eastern Studies.
• Postgraduate Diploma (60 ECTS total) - students complete four core modules and two optional modules, gaining a thorough grounding in both the theory and the practice underpinning current research in Middle Eastern studies.
• Masters/M.Phil. (90 ECTS total/full time or part time) - students complete four core modules, two optional modules, and build on the knowledge and skills gained through the modules by applying them to the research project (which is worth 30 ECTS).
This course will give you the cultural fluency and competence widely sought by employers, including in the fields of journalism, business, enterprise and industry, education, NGOs, political and diplomatic career pathways, international relations, and social policy making.
You will also acquire research, critical analysis skills that you will apply in essay writing and independent academic research throughout your study and in your career. You may also choose to study Arabic Language as part of your programme - advanced linguistics abilities and intercultural communications skills will give you a competitive advantage in the job market. It may also be possible to study Introduction to Turkish language (this option is confirmed annually).
Click Here for further information on modules/subject.
Postgraduate studies in the School of Languages, Literatures and Cultural Studies at Trinity
An introduction to the postgraduate programmes in the School of Languages, Literatures and Cultural Studies at Trinity College Dublin.
AwardsNFQ Level 9
Number of Places20 Places
Professor Anne Fitzpatrick
30th June 2024
No prior languages knowledge is required, and Arabic can be studied ab initio. Applicants should normally have a second class (2.1) Honours Bachelor's degree or equivalent. Applicants are asked to submit a writing sample for assessment, and may be invited for online interview. For candidates who are not native English speakers and have not completed a degree through the medium of English language, see the Trinity foreign language requirement
Click here for a full list of postgraduate fees
To apply, click on the relevant Apply Link below
Get in Touch
+353 (0)1 8963397
Register Your Interest
Register your interest in postgraduate study at Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin.
As Ireland’s leading university, we offer a wide range of postgraduate programmes at masters, diploma and certificate level.
Trinity is an international university steeped in history, with a reputation for excellence in education, research and innovation.