Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search



You are here Undergraduate > Module Outlines > Senior Sophister

Quantitative Methods B

Module Code: ECU44052/ECU44054

Module Title: Quantitative Methods B

  • ECTS Weighting: 10/5
  • Semester/Term Taught: Semester 2
  • Contact Hours: 22 hours of lectures and 4 hours of tutorials.
  • Module Personnel: Lecturer - Professor Paul Scanlon

Module Learning Aims

Quantitative Methods  B is a continuation of Junior Sophister Mathematical Economics, EC3180 & EC3181. The emphasis is on dynamic analysis, and the topics include differential and difference equations, and dynamic optimization. The term concludes with an introduction to stochastic calculus.

Learning Outcomes

Students that successfully complete the module will be able to:

  • Apply mathematical techniques to economic problems in both dynamic and static settings.
  • Formulate and solve simply models of economic behaviour in static and dynamic settings.
  • Derive and understand economic insights from solutions to mathematically formulated economic models.

Module Content

  • Differential and difference equations
  • Dynamic optimization
  • Stochastic calculus

Recommended Reading List

  • Chiang, A.C.  and Wainwright, K. (2005), Fundamental Methods of Mathematical Economics (4th ed.), McGraw-Hill
  • Hoy, Michael et al., Mathematics for Economics, 3rd ed., MIT Press.

Module Pre Requisite

EC3180 & EC3181 Mathematical Economics and EC3190 & EC3191 Econometrics.

Assessment Details

For ECU44052 (10 ECTS) students, 30% of the module mark is based on a term test and the remaining 70% on the final exam.

For ECU44054 (5 ECTS) students, the term test will comprise 100% of the final mark for the course.

Module Website

Blackboard