Quantitative Methods for Economics I
Module Code: TBC
- ECTS Credit: 10
- Mandatory/Optional: Core module (compulsory)
- Period: Hilary Term
- Module Coordinator: Professor Gaia Narciso
- Teaching Staff: Professor Gaia Narciso
This module introduces basic concepts of data analysis and statistics with practical applications to economics and policy. The emphasis is on the practical application of quantitative reasoning, visualization, and data analysis. The goal is to provide students with tools for conducting their own basic statistical analyses. Topics covered include basic descriptive measures, probability, measures of association, sampling and sample size estimation, and confidence intervals. Assignments are based on real-world data and problems in a wide range of fields.
On successful completion of this module, students should be able to:
MLO3.1 Explain and apply statistical terminology;
MLO3.2 Formulate simple problems in the language and terminology of statistics;
MLO3.3 Solve simple problems related to the topics in the module;
MLO3.4 Explain statistical reasoning in a clear, concise, and correct manner.
- Continuous assessment and Project [60%]: It will involve a practical application of material studied during the module.
- Final Examination [40%]: It will test critical understanding and appropriate application of topics covered in the module.