Module Code: EC7007
- ECTS Credit: 5
- Mandatory/Optional: Mandatory
- Module Coordinator: Prof. Martina Kirchberger
Aims of Module
The aim of this module is to introduce students to research methodologies and research topics in the field of economics with the aim of preparing students for completing a dissertation in the second semester. We will discuss what research in economics is and compare different research techniques and approaches. The module will give background on what is expected in an MSc dissertation, discuss how to develop a research idea, find the relevant literature and data, as well as writing and presenting effectively.
The module will be delivered through a combination of lectures, seminar attendance, discussions and student presentations. Students will be divided into research teams.
Upon completion of the course the students should be able to:
- critically evaluate research in economics across a broad range of field
- compare different research techniques and approaches
- be knowledgeable about how to write papers in economics and apply this to their dissertation
- Clearly communicate their ideas and present effectively
- Plan a comprehensive dissertation which will connect closely with the MSc course
Recommended Reading List
A full reading list will be provided at the start of lectures.
• 60% referee reports
• 20% research ideas
• 20% presentation of research proposal