Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Undergraduate

Quantitative Methods

Module Code: ECU44172/ECU44174

Module Name: Quantitative Methods

  • ECTS weighting: 10/5
  • Semester/term taught: Semester 2
  • Contact Hours: 22 hours of lectures and 4 hours of tutorials
  • Module Personnel: Lecturer – Professor Paul Scanlon

Module Learning Aims

The objective of the module is to furnish students sufficient quantitative skills to analyse and perform advanced research in economics.

Module Learning Outcomes

  • 1. Understand cutting-edge research in economics.
  • 2. Replicate and expand existing economic models.
  • 3. Develop intuition for mathematical modelling and optimality conditions.

Module Content

  • 1. Differential and difference equations
  • 2. Dynamic optimization and Economic Applications
  • 3. Dynamic Programming
  • 4. Stochastic calculus

Recommended Reading List

  • Hoy, Michael et al., Mathematics for Economics, any edition, MIT Press.

Module Pre Requisites

ECU33081, ECU33082, ECU33091, ECU33092

Assessment Details

For 10 ETCS students, a term test will comprise 20% of course grade, while the final will count for the remaining 80%.
For 5 ETCS students, the term test will comprise 100% of the final grade.

Module Website


Back to top