Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Undergraduate

Economics of Financial Markets

Module Code: ECU44142/ECU44144

Module Name: Economics of Financial Markets

  • ECTS weighting: 10/5
  • Semester/term taught: Semester 2
  • Contact Hours: 22 hours of lectures and 4 hours of tutorials
  • Module Personnel: Lecturer – Professor Agustin Benetrix

*Please note that the assessment details for modules are provisional at the moment. These will be updated to reflect assessment patterns for 2021/22 shortly.

Module Learning Aims

This course is concerned with the pricing of financial assets, with the pricing and handling of risk, and with the place of the financial markets in the economy as a whole. For example, how might risk-averse investors choose an efficient portfolio of risky investments? Do stock market prices reflect all available information, or are they influenced by irrational waves of sentiment? This module assumes previous knowledge of financial economics.

Learning Outcomes

On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:

  • Synthesize a broad range of topics in modern finance;
  • Apply statistical techniques to judge the empirical performance of economic theories of financial markets.

Module Content

  • Topics include the financial markets and the real economy; the CCAPM and the arbitrage pricing theory; international finance; behavioural finance.

Recommended Reading List

Cuthbertson, K. and D. Nitzsche, (2004), Quantitative Financial Economics (2nd ed.), (Chichester: Wiley).

Module Pre Requisite

JS Investment Analysis and JS Econometrics

Assessment Details

For ECU44042 (10 ECTS) students, an assignment will account for 30% of the final mark, and the remaining 70% will be based on the final exam. For ECU44044 (5 ECTS) students, a final exam will account for 100% of the final mark.

Module Website


Back to top