Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search



You are here Undergraduate > Module Outlines > Senior Sophister

Economic Theory A

Module Code: ECU44011/ECU44013

Module Title: Economic Theory A

  • ECTS Weighting: 10/5
  • Semester/Term Taught: Semester 1
  • Contact Hours: 22 hours of lectures and 4 hours of tutorials
  • Module Personnel: Lecturer - Professor Paul Scanlon

Module Learning Aims 

Upon completion of the model, the student should be able to understand and use modern macroeconomic models to analyse changes in the macroeconomy.

Learning Outcomes

On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:

  • Interpret and analyze different models of economic fluctuations
  • Analyze and extend models of long-run economic development
  • Describe models in game theory, especially as they relate to economics
  • Manipulate economic models to incorporate changes in economic policy

Module Content

This module will cover selected topics in macroeconomics and will build on the foundations developed in EC3010. Topics covered include monetary policy; real business cycle theory; the Ramsey model; public finance; endogenous growth theory; asset pricing; and New Keynesian economics.

Recommended Reading List

David Romer, Advanced Macroeconomics, any edition, McGraw-Hill

Module Pre Requisites

EC3110 & EC3111 Economic Analysis and either EC3180 & EC3181 Mathematical Economics or EC3190 & EC3191 Econometrics

Assessment Details

For ECU44011 (10 ECTS) students, an assignment will account for 30% of the final mark, and the remaining 70% will be based on the final exam.

For ECU44013 (5 ECTS) students, a final exam will account for 100% of the final mark.

Module Website

Blackboard

Back to top