Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Undergraduate

Advanced Macroeconomics

Module Code: ECU44121/ECU44123

Module Title: Advanced Macroeconomics

  • ECTS Weighting: 10/5
  • Semester/Term Taught: Semester 1
  • Contact Hours: 22 hours of lectures and 4 hours of tutorials
  • Module Personnel: Lecturer - Professor Paul Scanlon

Module Learning Aims 

Upon completion of the model, the student should be able to understand and use modern macroeconomic models to analyse changes in the macroeconomy.

Learning Outcomes

On successful completion of this module, you will be able to:

  • Interpret and analyze different models of economic fluctuations
  • Analyze and extend models of long-run economic development
  • Describe models in game theory, especially as they relate to economics
  • Manipulate economic models to incorporate changes in economic policy

Module Content

This module will cover selected topics in macroeconomics and will build on the foundations developed in ECU33011. Topics covered include monetary policy; real business cycle theory; the Ramsey model; public finance; endogenous growth theory; asset pricing; and New Keynesian economics.

Recommended Reading List

David Romer, Advanced Macroeconomics, any edition, McGraw-Hill

Module Pre Requisite

JS Economic Analysis and one of (JS Mathematical Economics or JS Econometrics)

Assessment Details

For 10 ECTS students, an assignment will account for 20% of the final mark, and the remaining 80% will be based on the final exam.

For 5 ECTS students, a final exam will account for 100% of the final mark.

Module Website


Back to top