Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search



You are here Undergraduate > Module Outlines > Senior Fresh

Intermediate Economics A

Module Code: ECU22011 (old code EC2110)

Module Title: Intermediate Economics A

Module Sub-Title: Microeconomics

  • ECTS Weighting: 5
  • Semester/Term Taught: Semester 1
  • Contact Hours: 22 hours of lectures and approximately 8-10 hours of tutorials
  • Module Personnel: Lecturer - Professor Francis O'Toole

Module Learning Aims

This module aims to:

  • provide those with a fundamental level of economics (e.g. EC1110/EC1111) with the required foundation in microeconomic analysis/theory necessary for tackling more advanced economic policy and economic theory modules (ECU33011/ECU33012);
  • provide the core building block for degree programmes specializing in economics, such as single or joint honors economics (e.g. BESS, PPES and TSM Economics);
  • provide the appropriate microeconomic tools and terminology for the explanation and interpretation of economic phenomena;
  • provide the generic theoretical concepts required for a critical analysis of real world economic issues; and,
  • facilitate the use of the clear and concise English that is required for microeconomic reasoning and policy-making.

Module Learning Outcomes

Having completed this module (successfully), you will be able to:

  • describe, interpret and evaluate economic events through the application of economic analysis/theory;
  • formulate and address economic policy issues using the language and approach of economic analysis/theory;
  • set up and solve theoretical economic problems related to the topics in this module; and,
  • articulate economic reasoning and results.

Module Content

This module provides students with a broad overview of intermediate-level microeconomic theory. The material is built around the study of economic agents (e.g. consumers or producers) maximizing objectives (e.g. utility or profits) in an environment of economic constraints (e.g. income or costs). The theory will be supported by a number of applications (e.g. labour-leisure choice, consumption-savings choice).

Topics discussed include:

  • Consumer theory (indifference curves and budget constraints);
  • Producer theory (isoquant curves and isocost constraints);
  • Market structure (perfect competition, monopoly, monopolistic competition and oligopoly);
  • Game theory (Nash equilibrium);
  • Factor markets;
  • Welfare economics and general equilibrium.

Recommended Reading List

Estrin, Laidler and Dietrich, Microeconomics, Pearson (recent edition) or Varian, H., Intermediate Microeconomics with Calculus or Intermediate Microeconomics Norton, (recent edition).

In addition to the above two standard textbooks, Microeconomics, Goolsbee, Levitt and Syverson, Macmillan, (recent edition), provides some excellent examples of applied economics.

Module Pre Requisite

EC1110 & EC1111 Introduction to Economics or equivalent (e.g. EC1140 & EC1141 Introduction to Economic Policy) and EC1130 & EC1131 Mathematics & Statistics (or equivalent).

Module Co-Requisite

ECU22012 Intermediate Economics B

Assessment Details

It is envisaged that the mid-term test (usually held on a Saturday at the end of teaching week 8) will account for 30% of the grade and that the final exam will account for the remaining 70% of the grade.

Module Website

Blackboard.