CL7071 PG Elementary Latin
- Module Organisers:
- Professor Anna Chahoud and Dr Charlie Kerrigan
- One Term (Sept-Dec)
- Contact Hours:
- 33 (11x3 classes/week)
- 10 ECTS
- 100% continuous assessment (four in-class tests in weeks 3, 6, 9 and 12)
- None. Students with Leaving Certificate or equivalent in Latin may not enrol in this module.
Working Methods & Requirements
The module is taught in small groups through three weekly classes in Michaelmas Term (Semester 1). Attendance and preparation for each class are compulsory. Dates and times of the assessed tests are available in the module handbook. The pass mark for the module is 50%.
E. Dickey, Learning Latin from the Romans (Cambridge 2018)
All students must have the two textbooks by the start of term.
On successful conclusion of this module, students will be able to:
- Manage a substantial Latin vocabulary.
- Identify and analyse all main grammatical forms.
- Identify and analyse all main syntactical structures.
- Translate passages of Latin prose and verse into idiomatic English with some vocabulary aid.
- Translate short passages of English prose into Latin with some vocabulary aid.