CL7051 PG Elementary Greek I
This intensive module provides beginners with a comprehensive instruction in the Greek language and prepares students for the reading of unadapted Greek literary and documentary texts.
- Module Organiser:
- Dr. Martine Cuypers
- Semester I (Sept-Dec)
- Contact Hours:
- 33 (3 hours per week)
- 10 ECTS
- 100% continuous assessment: four written tests under exam condition in weeks 3, 6, 9 and 12.
- CL7052 PG Elementary Greek II and CL7053 Elementary Greek III.
The module is taught in small groups through three weekly classes in Michaelmas Term (Semester 1). Attendance and preparation for each class are compulsory.
On successful conclusion of this module, students will be able to:
- Manage a substantial Greek vocabulary.
- Identify and analyse all main grammatical forms.
- Identify and analyse all main syntactical structures.
- Translate passages of Greek prose and verse into idiomatic English with some vocabulary aid.
- Translate short passages of English prose into Greek with some vocabulary aid.