Entry Requirements & How to Apply
The successful completion (minimum 2.1 grade) of a Level 8 degree in the social sciences is required prior to acceptance on the course. Candidates holding a primary degree in a discipline outside the social sciences must hold a postgraduate award in social sciences (minimum 2.1 grade) for example the Trinity College online Postgraduate Diploma in Social Policy and Practice or equivalent. In addition, candidates will be required to demonstrate a minimum of 850 hours practice experience (paid or voluntary).
When assessing the quality of previous practice experience, the factors taken into consideration include:
- nature of the tasks undertaken and relevance to social work
- quantity and quality of supervision and training available to and availed of by the candidate
- linkages the applicant makes between practice experience and wider social issues.
How to Apply
Applications for the Master in Social Work are completed electronically here. Applications for September 2020's intake will be accepted from October 1st 2019. For more information, see 'Applying for a Postgraduate Course' page.
On application please include the following documents:
- Photo identification ( e.g. copy of passport, drivers license etc. )
- Complete official transcript displaying minimum required overall grade in Honours Bachelor’s Degree (if there is one)
- 2 references (at least one should be academic from a third level institution where the applicant has studied and one should be practice from an organisation where the applicant has had relevant work experience) – these should be on official headed paper or the TCD reference template provided and must be dated within the last year (an electronic signature – ie typed – is acceptable).
- A CV detailing their work experience and education (specifically location and duration) is required, this is for fee purposes.
- A pro-forma giving us permission to look into the applicant’s previous academic qualifications.
- MSW Supplementary Document
- All applicants whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English must present English proficiency qualifications. Trinity’s English requirements for postgraduate applicants can be found here.
Closing date: January 21st 2020