CL2255 & CL3355 Advanced Greek
This is a language support module for advanced students of Greek. The module provides training in unseen translation with readings selected from authors, genres and periods not covered in other Greek modules. The classes will allow you consolidate and review grammar, build your vocabulary, hone translation skills, and develop an understanding of genre, register and style.
- Module Organiser:
- Dr Martine Cuypers
- Duration & Contact Hours:
- Weekly language labs attached to set text modules
- 5 ECTS
- 100% continuous assessment
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
- translate unseen, unadapted extracts from Greek texts of considerable difficulty into idiomatic English without vocabulary aid or a dictionary;
- identify and analyse moderately complex aspects of Greek morphology, syntax, semantics and pragmatics;
- analyse basic differences in idiom, register and style between authors, periods, genres and text types and take these into account in translation and interpretation.
- Readings and resources to help you review morphology, principal parts and vocabulary will be made available in photocopy or through Blackboard.
- You are expected to have access to a comprehensive dictionary, at a minimum, H.G. Liddell and R. Scott, Intermediate Greek Dictionary (Oxford, 1963, or later editions); a usfeful long-term investment is the full edition of this dictionary: H.G. Liddell, R. Scott, H.S. Jones and R. McKenzie, A Greek-English Dictionary, with a Supplement (Oxford, 1968 and later editions).