CL7053 PG Elementary Greek III
Building on previously acquired elementary language skills, this module aims to bring students to an intermediate level of proficiency in the reading of Greek literary and documentary texts.
- Module Organiser:
- Dr. Martine Cuypers
- Semester II (Jan-Apr)
- Contact Hours:
- 11 (1 hours per week)
- 5 ECTS
- 20% continuous assessment (grammar and vocabulary quizzes during term) and 80% end of year one-and-a-half-hour written examination (translation).
- either CL7052 Elementary Greek II or previous experience of Greek (subject to Coordinator’s approval).
The module is taught in small groups through two weekly classes in Hilary Term (Semester 2). Attendance and preparation for each class are compulsory.
On successful conclusion of this module, students will be able to:
- Manage an extensive Greek vocabulary.
- Recognise and analyse all the main features of Greek grammar and syntax.
- Translate and analyse extensive sections of original Classical Greek texts.
- Translate short passages of English prose into Greek with minimum vocabulary aid.
- Examine texts in their literary and historical contexts.