CLU12412 Reading Latin Texts
- Module Organisers:
- Professor Anna Chahoud and Dr Charlie Kerrigan
- One term (Jan - Apr)
- Contact Hours:
- 11 (1hr class/week) with a minimum of 3 hours additional private study expected.
- 5 ECTS
- 20% continuous assessment (weekly assignments), 80% final examination (two unseen passages for translation)
- Pre- and Co-requisites:
- CLU12410 Elementary Latin I and CLU12411 Elementary Latin II
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
- Manage an extensive Latin vocabulary.
- Recognise and analyse all the main features of Latin grammar and syntax.
- Translate and analyse extensive sections of original Classical Latin texts.
- Translate short passages of English prose into Latin with minimum vocabulary aid.
- Examine texts in their literary and historical contexts.
Working Methods & Requirements
The module is taught in small groups through one weekly class in Hilary Term (Semester 2). Attendance and preparation for each class are compulsory.
Materials for translation will be handed out in class.