CLU12411 Elementary Latin II
- Module Organisers:
- Professor Anna Chahoud and Dr Charlie Kerrigan
- One term (Jan - Apr)
- Contact Hours:
- 22 (11 x 2 classes per week)
- 5 ECTS
- 100% continuous assessment (three in-class tests, in weeks 6, 9 and 12)
- Prerequisites and Co-requisites:
- CLU12410 Elementary Latin I and CLU12412 Reading Latin Texts
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
- Manage an extensive Latin vocabulary.
- Recognise and analyse all the main features of Latin grammar and syntax.
- Translate and analyse extensive sections of original Classical Latin texts.
- Translate short passages of English prose into Latin with minimum vocabulary aid.
- Examine texts in their literary and historical contexts.
- Think critically about the history and politics of language in general and Latin in particular
Working Methods & Requirements
The module is taught in small groups through two weekly classes in Hilary Term (Semester 2). Attendance and preparation for each class are compulsory.
E. Dickey, Learning Latin from the Romans (Cambridge 2018)