Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search



1. What travel deals can I avail of?

We recommend that all students acquire a Child, Young Adult, or Student Leap Card. Using a Young Adult or Student Leap Card will save you an average of 50% compared to the cost of a standard, adult fare on travel nationwide. Using a Child Leap Card can make travel up to 85% cheaper! You can buy a Child Leap Card if you are aged 18 or younger. If you are 19-25, you can buy a Young Adult Leap Card. Both of these kinds of Leap Cards can be ordered online at If you are aged 26+, you can apply for a Student Leap Card online at, however you must either collect your card in person (in House 6), or complete a remote verification process. See for more information.

2. Where can I find good student deals?

Most retailers, cafés, and restaurants around campus offer student discounts. Keep an eye out for signage, or ask at the till if they have any deals. Normally, all you'll need to do to avail of the discount is show your student ID (your TCard).

You should also make sure to read your weekly Students' Union (SU) emails, as these often include even better, limited-time offers for food, services, and events in and around campus.

3. What do I do if my grant or research funding hasn’t come through yet?

Try not to panic.  Some people do experience delays in their funding.  Try to budget carefully and remember that you can contact the SU Welfare Officer for a temporary loan if things get a bit tight. Check out for more information.

If there is an ongoing issue, you can talk to your Tutor or the Postgraduate Advisory Service about applying for the Student Assistance Fund.  Postgraduate students should also consult their Supervisor or the Postgraduate Director of Teaching and Learning in their School regarding their research funding.

4. What is the Student Assistance Fund and am I eligible to apply?

The Student Assistance Fund is a small emergency reserve for students in significant financial difficulty.  Not everyone is eligible for it, but if you’re finding finance is becoming a significant stress in your life and basic budgeting skills aren’t to blame, talk to your Tutor or to the Postgraduate Advisory Service – they may be able to help you with an application.

Undergraduates should visit for further information.

Postgraduates should visit to learn more.

5. What is a Welfare Loan?

A Welfare Loan is a temporary cash sum up to the value of €100 that students can avail of - interest-free - if things get tricky.  You will need to pay it back, but if you know that a cheque is clearing or a grant is coming and you need a dig out until it arrives, talk to the SU Welfare Officer. More information is available at

Campus Life

1. How do I find my way around?

We recommend using the ’Finder’ feature of the Trinity Live app to help you navigate the campus. This feature can provide you with directions not only to buildings on campus, but even specific rooms!

If you don't want to download the Trinity Live app, you can find printable and interactive maps of campus at

Directions to and from the College from various transport hubs and locations around Dublin are available at

2. How do I know which gates are open when?
Campus gates open and close at different times, and it can be useful to know when so that you don't walk all the way to a specific exit only to find it's closed! You can find all the locations and opening hours of campus entry points at

3. Where can I take money out?

There are no ATMs on campus, but there are several located nearby. You could visit the AIB on Grafton Street for both ATM and general banking services. Bank of Ireland, meanwhile, has a branch in the old Parliament Building on College Green.

We recommend opening a student bank account with an Irish or EU banking provider whilst living in Dublin and studying at Trinity. The majority of student accounts allow you to make ATM withdrawals free of charge, whilst general current account holders will only be able to make ATM withdrawals if they pay a small fee. Maintenance fees may also be charged on non-student accounts.

4. How do I get a locker in College?

You can rent a locker online at Locker rentals open each September, and lockers are allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. Lockers are located in buildings across campus, and in off-campus locations - including the Arts Block, Hamilton Building, and the TBSI.

Clubs and Societies

1. What’s the difference between a club and a society?

In Trinity, the word “club” tends to refer to a student-led sports organisation and “society” to a student-led organisation that is not directly engaged in sports. For example, we have a trampolining club, but a knitting society (though, knitting can be effective at exercising certain muscles!). You can find a list of TCD Clubs at and of TCD societies at

2. Is there a limit to how many clubs and/or societies I can join?

You can join as many clubs and societies as you want to – just be realistic about what you can commit to.  Most students recommend getting really involved in a few groups rather than trying to spread yourself too thinly across a lot of different ones, but the choice is yours.

3. I didn’t join a club/society during Freshers’ Week – do I have to wait until next year?

Absolutely not!  Keep your eyes on your email for “Re-freshers” events, email the club/society you’re interested in and ask them directly how you can get involved, or visit for the online “Societies Hub” and more information. Most societies will be able to accommodate late members and will gladly welcome you, so you needn’t worry!

4. What is a committee member, and how do I become one?

A committee is a group of students who are elected to run a society or club. Every club and each society has its own constitution which includes a process for election to committee (normally at an Annual General Meeting or AGM).  Talk to the existing committee if you’re interested in getting more involved, and to find out how to stand for nomination.


1. How do I print/scan/photocopy?

You can find all the information you need, including tutorial videos on how to top up your account, print from your own device and scan to email, at

2. Where are the computer rooms?

Check out the map of IT Services Computer Rooms at

You can also find additional computers dotted about the libraries, such as the ones by the Arts Block entrance in the Lecky Upper.

3. How do I login to my IT accounts for the first time?

You can find all the information you need to access your IT accounts at

4. How can I reset my password?

If you’ve forgotten your password, don’t panic - we’ve all been there!  All the information you need to manage your IT accounts can be found at

5. I already have an email account, do I have to use the TCD one as well?

It’s essential that you check your TCD email account regularly – all of your course information, updates and notifications will be sent there!  Your TCD email is run through ‘MyZone’ which is provided by Google.  This means that as well as your email, you have access to calendar and cloud storage functions - which can be a really useful way to back-up your files and to collaborate on group work!

If you’re not sure about all the functions on your email account, or if you’re looking for instructions to send TCD emails to your personal account (or vice versa) you can find it all at

6. Is there Wi-fi on campus? How do I connect to it?

Wi-Fi is available on campus and in most Trinity locations. If you’re living in Trinity accommodation, you’ll also have access to a ‘wired’ connection.  All the instructions on how to get connected, and how to get help, can be found at

7. Is it true that students can buy discounted computers and software?

Lots of suppliers have deals for students on electronic college essentials, so it’s worth having a look around and doing some bargain hunting. IT Services have a selection of links to discount schemes and advice for what to buy at

8. Something isn’t working properly – who can help?

Trinity’s IT Services department have a support team who are able to help you online, over the phone, or in person.  Check out the IT Service Desk details and opening hours at

The Students' Union also offer a computer and phone repair service, “Refresh”, which is based in House 6. You can find out more at


1. How do I use the Library?

You will be given a tour of your relevant library as part of your orientation and, if you’re an undergraduate, you can always go back to your S2S mentors with any questions, or to ask for more assistance.

You can also read about all the Library’s facilities and how to use them at Remember that Library staff are always on hand to help, so don’t be afraid to ask them anything you’re unsure of!

2. Is there a 24 hour library/study space?

The lower floors of the Ussher Library transform into Kinsella Hall each evening, which all Trinity students can access outside of regular opening hours by swiping their ID card at the computer room entrance.  Postgraduate students can also access the 1937 Reading Room 24 hours a day.  For more information visit


1. Where do I find all the orientation information?

You can find all the orientation information online at  Be sure to check the site regularly as timetables and information can be subject to change.

2. What is the Academic Registry?

The Academic Registry is a one-stop-shop for all your administration needs, including: admissions, registration, fees, timetabling, exams, graduation, transcripts and more. You can find out about the services they offer at

3. Where can I find the Academic Registry?

The Academic Registry (AR) is located in the Watts Building (part of the Hamilton complex) at the East End of campus (map).  The Academic Registry is on the first floor, next to the Global Room.

4. Is my CAO/application number my TCD student ID number?

No. You’ll receive a letter and an e-mail with your new Trinity student number after you have accepted your place.

5. What do I do if I’m waiting for a SUSI grant to come through to pay my fees?

During the online payment process, SUSI applicants should indicate that their Sponsor is SUSI; they will subsequently be prompted to provide their SUSI Application Number which will begin with ‘WO’.  The College will accept this as proof that the student has made an application to SUSI.  The student’s liability will be calculated in the expectation that their application to SUSI is successful.  SUSI will notify the College of the outcome of the application for funding.  Any student who is unsuccessful in their SUSI application will subsequently be billed for their tuition fee by the College.

6. Who can I talk to if I’m having trouble registering online?

If you’re experiencing problems completing the online Registration process you can call in to the Academic Registry for assistance, or you may submit an enquiry with the subject title ‘REGISTRATION DIFFICULTY’ via email ( or by clicking the ’Ask TCD’ button on the Registration screens.

7. Do I need to have module choice forms completed before Freshers' Week?

This varies from course to course, so check on your portal to see if you need to enrol in modules online.

8. How do I get a student ID card?

If you're an incoming student, ID card (TCard) collection will take place during Freshers' Week. You will find more information about this on the Orientation webpages in August. Make sure to bring proof that you have registered online (either a screenshot or a print-out), as well as a form of photo ID (passport/driver's licence).

If you're a current student and you need a replacement TCard, drop into the Academic Registry. Replacement cards cost €20, and payment must be made before a new card can be issued. However, this fee will be waived if you have lost your card due to theft and can produce a Garda report.

9. What if I need to change my Registration details?

The process for this depends on which details you need to change.  Have a look at for full information.


1. What is Trinity Ball?

Trinity Ball takes place annually towards the beginning of Trinity Term (after the end of Semester 2 Teaching). For one night every year, campus becomes a festival ground as stages are set for live acts from Irish and international bands. Trinity Ball is a ticketed event, so keep an eye on the @trinityents Instagram page for details of how and when to get your tickets.

2. Where can I meet new people?

There are lots of ways to meet new people both on and off campus, and you'll be making new friends in no time!

New undergraduates will be assigned to mentor groups by the Student 2 Student (S2S) Programme, and - even before they step foot into their first lecture - their mentors will be in touch about meet-ups and events designed to help students make new connections within their courses and beyond. The Students' Union (SU) and Trinity Hall JCR will also be organising events for people to get together, and there are a range of social spaces on campus - including the SU Café and the Global Room.

Obviously, you don't have to make all of your friends in your first week of College! There'll always be ways for you to meet new people during your time at Trinity; you could join a sports club or society, chat to your classmates whilst waiting for a lecture to start, or just say a friendly hello and strike up a conversation with someone you cross paths with on campus.

Postgraduate students can avail of the Postgraduate Common Room, and should keep an eye on emails from the Students' Union for Postgrad events and activities.

The most important thing to remember is that most people don't know other students when they come to Trinity, so you needn't feel like you are the only person anxious about making new friends!

3. Who can I talk to?

If you're feeling stressed out, worried, or upset, the first thing to do is to talk about it. From fellow students (S2S Mentors, S2S Peer Supporters, Niteline, SU Welfare Officer, Trinity Hall JCR Welfare Team) to professional Counselling and other supports (Chaplaincy, Tutorial Service, Postgraduate Advisory Service, The Global Room), there are a range of services on- and off- campus designed to give you space and time to get things off your chest. They will also be able to guide you to additional supports if concerns about immigration, financial matters, adapting to a new culture, your essay feedback, or otherwise are contributing to your distress. Have a look at the links in this passage and see what's right for you.


1. Do I have to buy all the books on my reading lists?

Trying to buy all the books on your reading list can become very costly very quickly! Instead, see if you can access the books you need through the Library. Ask a librarian to assist you if you’re not sure how to find a book or need to know more about borrowing restrictions, and don't forget to check out the Library's collection of online databases.

Some classes have a rota and students take it in turns to borrow a book and photocopy/scan materials for everyone else in the class (provided it’s not a breach of copyright of course!). Ask your Class Rep if you’d like to set up a system like this yourselves.

If you really need your own copy of a text, have a look for second-hand books advertised on the SU Bookshop (, on noticeboards around campus, or on sites like World of Books ( Your S2S Mentors may also be able to show you the most affordable place to find the relevant books for your course.

2. How do I know if I’m studying properly?

Independent study and research is at the heart of your degree in Trinity, and most students need some time to adjust to this.  If you’re used to being told what to read and when, having to use your own judgement and motivation can be a lot trickier than it sounds.  Don’t be afraid to seek guidance from S2S Mentors, lecturers, or your Tutor/postgraduate advisors if you’re not sure how to make the most of your personal study time, and remember that Student Learning Development have a host of online resources, workshops and one-to-one supports to help you work it out.

3. I feel like I’m behind on my workload, what should I do?

There are lots of reasons why students sometimes feel that they’re falling behind.  It might be that you’re finding it hard to apply a new concept/theory that’s been introduced in the class, or that you feel other members of the class have more pre-existing knowledge of something than you do.  It might simply be that you feel as though you should be fitting more into your day than you’re managing to achieve.  It could be that something has happened that has taken away from your study time, and you don’t know how to recuperate it.

If you have been absent from classes and/or have not been able to undertake study due to personal circumstances, make sure you inform your Tutor/supervisor as soon as possible so that they can help you to take the time that you need and to get back on track when you’re ready.

If you are able to attend classes and to study but still feel that you’re behind, talk to your lecturers and check out the time management resources that Student Learning Development have to offer.

4. What happens if I miss a class?

Different Schools and courses have varying attendance requirements, so check your Course Handbook to familiarise yourself with what is expected from you. It is particularly important to know whether anyone should be notified of reasons for absence from class, and - if so - who that person is.

Remember that it will probably be your responsibility to pro-actively obtain notes from any missed classes and to make sure that you’re up-to-date with the course.

If you are absent from more than one class and/or for a significant period, be sure to talk to the Module Co-Ordinator and your Tutor/Supervisor as soon as possible.

If attendance is taken and/or forms part of your assessment be sure to get a medical certificate if you have to miss a class due to sickness. You can contact the College Health Service for a consultation to obtain a medical certificate.

5. How do I prepare for exams?

Exam preparation begins with making sure you have clear notes from your lectures and seminars/tutorials which you can use as a foundation for your revision.

In order to know what to expect from your exam, you can view and practice previous papers by heading to

You might also keep an eye out for useful resources and workshops from Student Learning Development , such as their ’Exam Skills’ webpages:

Above all, remember that balancing your revision with rest, breaks, and stress management will help you to study more effectively. Take a look at this document on managing exam stress, compiled by the Student Counselling Service, or visit their webpages to check out the supports available to you:

6. How does the grading system work?
I First Class Honors 70-100%
II.1 Second Class Honors first division 60-69%
II.2 Second Class honors, second division 50-59%
III Third class honors 40-49%
F Fail - F1 30-39%
F2 Fail - F2 below 29%

N.B. - Some courses may vary from the above, so check your course handbook for details!

In some countries the percentages go a lot higher, but in Ireland anything about 70% is considered excellent - both literally and figuratively first class.

7. What are Schols?

Schols refer to Foundation and Non-Foundation Scholarship Awards which are made based on the results of an optional set of examinations undertaken in the January of your Senior Fresh (2nd) year.  For more information visit

8. How do I write references in my essays?

Your Course Handbook normally contains guidelines for essay writing - including which style of referencing to use (it varies School by School!) and example references to follow.  If you’re not sure you’re referencing correctly or need help referencing, you can ask your Subject Librarian for assistance.

9. What is plagiarism?

Plagiarism is the legal terminology for claiming work as your own when it was undertaken by somebody else, and it's a big deal in the academic world. Your lecturers will use Turnitin and other software to scan your work for plagiarism, and it's essential to familiarise yourself with the College's guidelines concerning plagiarism.

That being said, it's not expected that you know anything about academic plagiarism and how to avoid it before you arrive at university. To help you learn what to do (and what not to do!) the Library have created a Ready Steady Write plagiarism tutorial which you must complete before submitting assessed work online. You can also always speak to your lecturer, TA, or Subject Librarian if you have questions.

10. Can I get support with my study if I have a disability?

The TCD disAbility Service ensures that reasonable accommodations are put in place for students with disabilities to enable them to reach their full potential while studying. Students who are registered with the disAbility Service are assigned a disAbility Officer who they can approach with any concerns or problems they may be facing, and who can help them to access the supports they may need to improve their time at Trinity.

For more information (including a guide on registering with the Service), visit:

11. What help is available if English is not my first language?

Trinity’s Centre for English Language Teaching offers courses in English for Academic Purposes to assist students who are studying and writing in English for the first time, or for students who need a little more assistance fine-tuning their academic language.  All the information about these courses - including dates and costs - can be found at

12. Can anyone proof-read my essay for me?

Proof-reading is a specialised skill and not a service that is available free of charge in the College. However, quite often experienced proof-readers will advertise their services on the TCD Noticeboard (  Before engaging a proof-reader, be sure to check your Course Handbook; some courses do not allow 3rd-party proof-reading of assessed work.

14. Is there any additional support for maths skills?

There is a Maths Help Room available to all students working with maths and/or statistics, regardless of course.  The earlier you pop in, the more likely they are to be able to assist you in overcoming any issues or concerns that you have.  Find out more about the service at

15. Is there any support available for programming?

There is a Programming Support Centre available to all students working with computer programming, regardless of course.  The earlier you pop in, the more likely they are to be able to assist you in overcoming any issues or concerns that you have.  Find out more about the service at

16. What if I want to transfer course?

If you’re starting to feel that the course you’re studying isn’t right for you, the first thing to do is to talk about why.  If you’re an undergraduate student, check in with your S2S Mentors and/or students in the years above you.  They will be able to let you know what to expect in future modules and classes.  Talk to your Tutor as well - they will be able to advise you around potential options and are the only person who can make an official application for transfer if this is what you choose to do. Postgraduate students can avail support from S2S Peer Support and/or the Postgraduate Advisory Service.

17. Can I study abroad?

Many students choose to study abroad at a partner organisation during their Senior Fresh (2nd) or Junior Sophister (3rd) years. Destinations are as varied as St. Andrews and South Korea! Check your course handbook to see what study abroad options are available to you. There is also useful information about Erasmus and Exchange programmes at We recommend putting some time aside during your Junior Fresh (1st) year to consider whether you would be interested in these programmes; most exchanges are contingent on your achieving a average of 60% or above in your JF year, and you should explore the financial support available to assist you overseas.

18. What if I need to take some time out?

If something happens that makes it hard for you to focus exclusively on your study, or if you feel for any reason that your time in Trinity is being negatively impacted and that you may need a breather, please talk to your Tutor or supervisor as soon as possible.  Your Tutor/supervisor will have experience in what arrangements can be made to assist you - including the option to go “Off Books”, which means taking some time off by not registering as a student.


1. Where do I find my timetable?

Your main lecture timetable is available on the student portal at  Regularly scheduled tutorials and seminars should also appear on this timetable. However, these (as well as one-off or irregular classes) are scheduled by your course office, and they may have their own method of providing you with these details - such as posting information to your course notice boards, or emailing them to you. Check your course handbook for more information, and contact your course office if you have any questions.

2. What do the terms mean?

Trinity College Dublin works to a very traditional calendar based on the court system. Michaelmas Term runs from August to December, Hilary Term from January to March and Trinity Term from April to August.

You will find that students and staff alike more commonly refer to Semesters For more information go to and select “Academic Year Structure”.

3. Why don’t my lectures start until Week 5?

Be very careful when reading your timetable, as timetables are published according to the weeks of the term, whilst teaching weeks align with the Semester structure. Teaching Week 1 normally begins on week 5 of Michaelmas Term.  Check the Academic Year Structure at to make sure you know which week is which!

4. What if there’s a change to my scheduled classes?

Very occasionally a lecture or class may need to be cancelled or rescheduled. Make sure you’re checking your TCD email regularly as you will be contacted with information as soon as possible.

5. What do I do if there’s a timetable clash?

Don’t panic – this can happen from time to time.  Talk to someone in your course office as soon as possible.  If you’re in a multi-disciplinary course, email both offices or, if you’re in TSM, talk directly to the TSM office if the conflict is between your two moderatorship courses.

6. What do all the abbreviations on my timetable mean?

A lot of buildings and lecture theatres on campus have more than one name, or a name and a number that aren’t necessarily used together.  Many of the names are also abbreviated. You can find most common abbreviations at, ask for clarification from your course office or, if you’re an undergraduate student, don’t hesitate to ask your S2S mentors for help.


1. What’s the difference between a Tutor and a mentor?

A Tutor is an academic staff member who has undertaken additional responsibilities to ensure that undergraduate students have a point of contact if anything, professional or personal, is affecting their study or their Trinity experience.  They are there to assist you with College administration, advocacy and support.

S2S Mentors are fellow students who have undertaken basic training to assist in your transition to College.  Mentors can absolutely help if you’d like to meet more people on your course, or if you need information or support and are not sure who to talk to.  If it’s a matter for your Tutor they will be able to assist you in approaching them.

If you are a postgraduate student you can seek support from your supervisor or from the Postgraduate Advisory Service

2. How do I find out who my Tutor is?

Your Tutor’s information, including their contact email address, can be found on your student profile at  If you are a postgraduate student your supervisor’s details will be listed here instead. 

If you are a visiting/exchange student you will not be assigned a Tutor, but can contact your exchange co-ordinator or your S2S mentors for support.

If you are a full-time undergraduate student and your Tutor is not listed on your student profile please contact as soon as possible.

3. Do I have to see my Tutor during Freshers' Week?

It’s strongly recommended!  Most Tutors will email you some times that they’re available for a quick meeting in the first couple of weeks.  Take this opportunity to say hello to them and it will be much easier for you to contact them again if and when you need them!

4. How do I contact my Tutor?

If your Tutor has advertised drop-in hours then you can call in to see them during those office times.  Alternatively, you can email your Tutor to ask any questions you have and/or to arrange an appointment.  Remember to address the email professionally; some Tutors like to be addressed by their first name but unless they tell you this, address them as you would any other academic member of staff.

5. What if I can’t contact my Tutor, or I don’t get a response?

Sometimes Tutors can’t respond immediately to emails.  Please don’t let situations get urgent – contact your Tutor in a timely way and allow time for a response.  If a Tutor hasn’t replied and the matter is getting more pressing check to see if they have office hours and drop-by to check if they received your email, and if they’re available for a conversation.

If you can’t access your tutor during office hours you can email to find out if anyone else will be able to assist you.

6. What if I want to change Tutor?

You can change your Tutor easily, without being asked the reason for your decision.

  • Identify a new Tutor and ask them if they would agree to take you on as one of their tutees
  • Apply to the Senior Tutor's Office giving the names of your previous Tutor and your new Tutor.
  • Consult the Senior Tutor's Office in House 27 for advice on identifying a new Tutor.

It is advisable not to change your Tutor without careful consideration.


1. What is a class rep?

Class Reps are the elected liaison person between a class and the Students’ Union or Graduate Students’ Union, and between a class and course administration.  They will arrange meetings to take class queries/concerns to the relevant staff or union member, and will arrange social events to assist with class bonding.  You can find out more about undergraduate Class Reps and their function on the SU website.  For information about postgraduate class reps contact

2. How do I become a class rep?

Class Reps are normally elected by the class at the beginning of Michaelmas Teaching Term.  To find out more about the undergraduate election process and to register your interest go to the SU website.  For postgraduate expressions of interest contact