Students in their Senior Fresh year are eligible to take the Foundation Scholarship examinations. In exceptional circumstances students may defer them to the following year.
Please consult your course handbook and the College Calendar for further details. Please also see the Frequently asked questions.
A foundation scholarship is tenured for five years, during which time the Scholar is entitled to free Trinity accommodation, their evening meal free of charge at Commons, a waiver of their tuition fees or student contribution (non-EU students’ fees are reduced by the value of EU fees) and a small annual stipend. Scholars are also entitled to use the post-nominal letters “sch.” after their name. This scholarship is a very prestigious and substantial award given to approximately 60 students each year.
Many Schools and Disciplines hold meetings to inform prospective candidates about the examinations.
The Scholars themselves are also an excellent source of encouragement and advice and further information can be found on their website and video. They will also be holding an information night on Monday, 10th October 2022 from 7.30pm in the Edmund Burke Lecture Theatre (Arts Building).
Student Learning Development will run a Scholarship tips webinar on Thursday, 27 October 2022 @ 13:00 to support and inform students applying for scholarship examinations.
Candidates intending to present for these examinations must complete an online application form. This form should be submitted by the applicant and not by another party. A confirmation email will be sent via an intray message on their my.tcd.ie portal which may take up to 24 hours.
- 19 October 2022 at 9.00 am - 2 November 2022 at 5.00 pm - submission of online applications
- 4 November 2022 at 9.00 am - 12 December 2022 at 5.00 pm - submission of online withdrawal forms
- 9 January 2023 - 13 January 2023 - Foundation Scholarship examinations (Please note it may be necessary to schedule some examinations in the preceding week.)
- 24 April 2023, Trinity Monday, 10.00 am - announcement of Election to Scholarship 2023
Foundation Scholarship Application
The link to the 2023 Foundation Scholarship Application form will become available at 9am on 19 October 2022. This form should be submitted by the applicant and not by another party. A confirmation email will be sent via an intray message on their my.tcd.ie portal which may take up to 24 hours.
Please note only online application forms will be accepted
Candidates who wish to retract their application to sit the Foundation Scholarship examinations must complete the form below.
Foundation Scholarship Withdrawal
2023 Foundation Scholarship Withdrawal forms must be submitted by 12 December 2022 at 5.00pm.
Please note only online withdrawal forms will be accepted.
This form should be submitted by the applicant and not by another party. A confirmation email will be sent via an intray message on their my.tcd.ie portal which may take up to 24 hours.
The timetable for the 2023 Foundation Scholarship exams can be found here.
Intermission of Scholarship
Application should be made in writing to the Senior Lecturer of the College unless the applicant is a registered postgraduate student of the College, in which case application is made to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Intermission of tenure must be approved by the Board of the College.
- 2022/23 Foundation Scholarship Examination Papers
- Foundation Scholarship Examination Requirements
- Frequently asked questions
- 2022/23 Foundation Scholarship Policy Document (321KB)
- 2022/23 Foundation Scholarship Calendar entry (340KB)
- 2021/22 Foundation Scholarship Results
- Foundation Scholarship Past Papers
- 2012 Foundation Scholarship Recommendations (PDF, 78KB)
- Council Minutes of 24 October 2012 on Review of the Scholarship Examinations (PDF, 28 KB)
- Council Minutes of 5 November 2008 on Revised Scholarship Examinations (PDF, 59KB)